Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I kept on talking about doing the flat fender thing and was wanting to just buy the MCE's but being a cheap college student I could just make my own for... FREE! Except a couple hours of work.

This is before and after :) Tell me what you think! I have sitting next to me, some JKS Quicker Disconnects, 2.5" lift coils and shocks, and windshield light brackets. Should be a good week ;)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I thought it turned out great, please any input is appreciated!

Discuss :flipoff:

**The reason the front of the wheel wells are black, is because I just undercoated them, I wanna clean the others to make sure I don't seal in moisture and dirt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
LOOKS GREAT!

How did you do it?
Did you cut the old ones?
How long did it take you?
What about the rear?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Looks good ,put the stinger back on.
I made mine in about 15min,just to have one till I can get a real one

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOOKS GREAT!

How did you do it?
Did you cut the old ones?
How long did it take you?
What about the rear?
Thanks! I used a dremel, and a hole saw for the front JK lights. I dremel'd off the front sheet metal and the flares. (The flares were already trimmed) the bracket underneath was thick and we used a HD cutter. Then I used some smash-able type molding on the edge so its smooth and safe to touch, and looks good!

It took me about 3 hours or so, it would take longer prolly 4-5 if you trimmed all the flares at the same time. And the rear flares are just trimmed. Everything is still there!

Oh and crtaylor, I would keep it. (I did but took it off) but it wasnt even welded or anything it was poser style lol. Once I have time to get it welded on, ill put it back. Oh, and I see you trimmed yours.. Nice!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
much better without the stinger.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Looks good. Glad you got rid of the stinger. About 90% of people who have one don't know what they're for, or don't wheel hard enough to actually need one. :rofl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
I think it looks alot better and cleaner. I just wasnt liking it anymore and youre right. I know I don't wheel hard enough for one! This is my DD! :D
I like your fenders a lot, I showed them to the wife 'cause now I want to cut mine....She wanted to know if you experience any change in handling/airflow or any distracting water/snow spray from highway driving while running the flat fenders?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your fenders a lot, I showed them to the wife 'cause now I want to cut mine....She wanted to know if you experience any change in handling/airflow or any distracting water/snow spray from highway driving while running the flat fenders?
No sir, no change in the actual cut out front flat style flares. They work exactly the same as stock, im sure more airflow but nothing that you'll feel change your driving experience! The trimmed flares will cause more water and or mud to be thrown from the tires but when you're driving you don't notice it especially if your tires already protrude like mine. Overall its a great mod! Just make sure to take your time and make sure the cuts are straight and that you paint any exposed metal as it can rust. Do it right the first time and you'll never have to worry about it again :D

It cost maybe $12 dollars for the cut off wheels and trim. The rest was all in time and work! Oh, and I'd say $60 for the lights. My side markers that are under the flares were $8 for the pair and the JK lights were $50. I'd use JK ones because the stock plug works in them you just have to extend the wires. And you can trim them enough to make fit nice and tight! ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
No sir, no change in the actual cut out front flat style flares. They work exactly the same as stock, im sure more airflow but nothing that you'll feel change your driving experience! The trimmed flares will cause more water and or mud to be thrown from the tires but when you're driving you don't notice it especially if your tires already protrude like mine. Overall its a great mod! Just make sure to take your time and make sure the cuts are straight and that you paint any exposed metal as it can rust. Do it right the first time and you'll never have to worry about it again :D

It cost maybe $12 dollars for the cut off wheels and trim. The rest was all in time and work! Oh, and I'd say $60 for the lights. My side markers that are under the flares were $8 for the pair and the JK lights were $50. I'd use JK ones because the stock plug works in them you just have to extend the wires. And you can trim them enough to make fit nice and tight! ;)
Perfect! I am going to do the fender cut, headlight bezel blackout, remove running boards, and paint my white (yes white) wagon wheels the PO installed over new years. Thanks for all the details on your project!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet stuff! Make sure to take plenty of pictures and post them up afterwards. Love seeing Jeeps after hand done mods are completed. Well any mods really :)

If you need anything further or some close up pictures I'll break out the good camera and snap some for you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
Sweet stuff! Make sure to take plenty of pictures and post them up afterwards. Love seeing Jeeps after hand done mods are completed. Well any mods really :)

If you need anything further or some close up pictures I'll break out the good camera and snap some for you!
Cool thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks good ,put the stinger back on.
I made mine in about 15min,just to have one till I can get a real one
When you cut you fenders did you keep the little support rod that mounts to the side of the grill and to the underside of the fender? Also what did you do for your marker light, just remove it? I am going to cut my YJ's fenders and just havent decided how I want to do it yet...

·
Registered
64 Posts
hannahuffster said:
When you cut you fenders did you keep the little support rod that mounts to the side of the grill and to the underside of the fender? Also what did you do for your marker light, just remove it? I am going to cut my YJ's fenders and just havent decided how I want to do it yet...
He relocated the marker lights to the grill...I am also curious about the bracket.

IndyJeepMan,

Got any pics of that bracket?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts