Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So originally I built this to fit on my rack but decided that I didn't want to die when it rolled over with all the weight so I stuck it in the back with a hinge so that I could fit my giant St. Bernard.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice!! And your rack looks pretty badass too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a little info on the box. It's mostly made from 1/8 in steel except for the bottom (obviously). The hinge was made from angle iron, tube steel, and a steel rod.
The box without supplies weighs around 70 lbs and loaded is around 130 (I think).
It will be rhino lined along with the rack once they're both finished.

Supplies carried: 40' of chain, 100' synthetic winch rope, shovel, axe, machete, d-rings, general tools, 8guage cables, hi-lift and winch accessories, and mud proof goggles

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just finished prepping the box and rack for rhino lining. I'll get the pics up ASAP

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a great box. I like the use of expanded metal.
Thanks, Yea like I said before it was supposed to be mounted on the roof, so the expanded steel was a vain attempt to keep the weight down. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, I still have to work out a way to secure it when it's flipped up. More pics to come

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the net but like you said might not not work with the weight. While I was building it the lid fell on my arm, felt like it was broken for a day. I cant risk this whole box loaded falling on my dog so ill def need something welded to the cage

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When in doubt, couple of two inch ratchet straps come in very handy. Used them all the time hauling loads as a truck driver.
That's exactly what I have set up right now .. Just looking for something a little more permanent and a little easier to engage

1 - 20 of 21 Posts