Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 TJ 4l, 5 sp. I bought it from an older guy. He said the MFS would need to be replaced as the fog light were always on. He said he thought he cut a wire or removed a fuse to turn them off. The green fog light symbol was always on in the upper left corner. If I wiggled the turn signal lever the light would go out but come back on when I released. I replaced the switch and now the indicating light operated as it should but, I can not get the fog lights to work. I don't see any fuses missing from under the hood nor do I see any signs of a cut wire. I tested the fog light connection by the right headlamp and no 12 volts. Any ideas of where to look next?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had the same problem on my first TJ. Here is the answer.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/w...-lights-fog-lights-won-t-shut-off-113414.html

The challenge you now have is that you probably paid for a new switch to solve the problem (perhaps you have your receipt and can take it back and do this fix noted here).

Due to the switch being broke, the prior guy likely cut the wire, pulled a fuse, or the relay is out.

Someone here will know the relay to check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On mine they just pulled the fog light relay all together. It was in the box under the hood, passenger side. Should be labeled. Got the replacement turn signal/fog light switch at Autozone, works perfect. Just make sure to transfer the relay or blinker whatever it is from the old one to the new one. It won't come with those.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow! What a coincidence! I've had my TJ for a couple of months, and the fog lights never worked. I just figured the bulbs were burned out. I didn't care, as I planned on installing LED fog lights.

Installed my LED's and they didn't work. Started poking around and found that the 20A fuse under the hood had been removed. Replaced the fuse and now the fog lights are on ALL the time. Even with the ignition off!

This sounds like the same problem??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the lights don't shut off it is most likely the switch at the end of the turn signal.
I decided to check the bulbs in the fog lights. When I pulled them I found that the ground wire had been pulled and the connector wrapped in tape. The other bulb was the same. I connected the ground wires and everything works perfect now. The things some people do!! Pulling the fuse would have been so much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow! What a coincidence! I've had my TJ for a couple of months, and the fog lights never worked. I just figured the bulbs were burned out. I didn't care, as I planned on installing LED fog lights.

Installed my LED's and they didn't work. Started poking around and found that the 20A fuse under the hood had been removed. Replaced the fuse and now the fog lights are on ALL the time. Even with the ignition off!

This sounds like the same problem??
Your problem is definitely the multi function switch (turn signal fog light switch) on the steering wheel. My situation was the same. Replaced fuse (or relay, whatever it is) and lights stayed on all the time. Replaced the multi function switch with a unit from Autozone and problem solved.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Success! Replaced the switch assembly. 6 screws and 1 plug. Took about 10 minutes. Fog lights work great now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts