Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently have a 2004 tj with 33" tires on stock diff's (d33 and d35). I also have a 3.5" lift.

I have started doing all my maintenance and service myself but I still consider myself noob when it comes to jeep build.

Can somebody pls give me some idea about what parts do I need to change if I want to go to 37" tires?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
WHY 37's? Do you wheel where you NEED 37's? You only gain clearance at a huge weight and cost penalty.
There is a LOT that goes into 37's.
You need to get rid of the D35!
No exceptions!
Re-gear Axle shafts Brakes.
Enough Lift to clear them.

I plan on running 37's in the near future also. I've re-geared from 4:10 to 4:88's. Trussed & Gusseted my front axle and changed axle shafts to RCV's. I've trussed my rear axle and switched to Ten Factory shafts. I've upgraded my entire steering and will be going with PSC hydro assist. I'll also be ordering new brakes & rotors next month from Black Magic. I will be going to a LA with Ori Struts in the coming months too. A LOT goes into 37's. I suggest you look at 35's then decide if 37's are worth it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHY 37's? Do you wheel where you NEED 37's? You only gain clearance at a huge weight and cost penalty.
There is a LOT that goes into 37's.
You need to get rid of the D35!
No exceptions!
Re-gear Axle shafts Brakes.
Enough Lift to clear them.

I plan on running 37's in the near future also. I've re-geared from 4:10 to 4:88's. Trussed & Gusseted my front axle and changed axle shafts to RCV's. I've trussed my rear axle and switched to Ten Factory shafts. I've upgraded my entire steering and will be going with PSC hydro assist. I'll also be ordering new brakes & rotors next month from Black Magic. I will be going to a LA with Ori Struts in the coming months too. A LOT goes into 37's. I suggest you look at 35's then decide if 37's are worth it.
I currently wheel on intermediate trails. I wouldn't say I absolutely need 37s but 33" are not enough correct :)

I also thought of going to 35s but 2" would not make much of a diff plus I still have to swap out the axles. So why not 37s.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant imagine needing 37's for an intermediate trail.
I agree. I am trying to find out the cost of 37" built vs 35" and what is the minimum one can live with.

Is 37" an overkill or 33" are ok for normal wheeling or we at least need 35".

·
Registered
329 Posts
Guy I work with is running 40's on Dana 60 axles and a 6" coilover lift with a small block Chevy engine swap. He also makes a good bit of money and can fabricate/weld quite a bit and is an advanced shade tree mechanic. A lot of money and mechanics are needed to go to a tire above 35" due to needing more than stock axles. I hate to put a noob down, but if you don't have time experience or money to throw at it, just stick with making yours as capable as you can.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
...and what is the minimum one can live with.
Not the right way to look at a build over 33" tires. If you've got the $ and the patience then more power to ya. A jeep built correctly for 33"-35" tires, can be an incredibly capable machine.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Not the right way to look at a build over 33" tires. If you've got the $ and the patience then more power to ya. A jeep built correctly for 33"-35" tires, can be an incredibly capable machine.
X2! Picking correct lines and learning from experienced wheelers makes a huge difference. A hand throttle can also help you with better controlled acceleration when the trail is rough.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
We've been wheeling some of the toughest trails in Northern CA for several years on 33's, while I've slowly been building mine to handle 35's...(finally putting them on this month). 33's are more than enough to handle most trails if the rest of your build is up to it.

This is winch hill #1 at Fordyce Creek.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your responses, lot of great information.

I do not have dollars to burn :( but want to make the jeep better and more capable.

Following is my current setup:

33" tires on stock diff's (d33 & d35)
3.5 inch lift
Lunchbox lockers front and back

It has never caused any issues on intermediate trails but I was wondering is that a good enough setup to advance trails as well? I am not planning to do extreme rock crawl.

What improvements would you do?

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Thank you all for your responses, lot of great information. I do not have dollars to burn :( but want to make the jeep better and more capable. Following is my current setup: 33" tires on stock diff's (d33 & d35) 3.5 inch lift Lunchbox lockers front and back It has never caused any issues on intermediate trails but I was wondering is that a good enough setup to advance trails as well? I am not planning to do extreme rock crawl. What improvements would you do?
Take the lunchbox out of the 35 before you grenade it and have to walk home.

·
Commercial Member
7,885 Posts

I do not have dollars to burn :( but want to make the jeep better and more capable.

3.5 inch lift

It has never caused any issues on intermediate trails but I was wondering is that a good enough setup to advance trails as well? I am not planning to do extreme rock crawl.

What is a d33? ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
You will not be able to go to 37's cheaply. I have changed both axles, lockers, chrome moly's and fenders to run 37's on my TJ. I play aroung on the rocks. That's why I need the clearance but 35's should be way enought to run the trails but not with a D35. You can run the D30 on 35's but may need some help. I have many buddies who wheel just as hard as I do on 33's and 35"s

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

3.5 inch lift

If you plan on going bigger than 33's (or even if you don't) one of the best upgrades you could do is either a D44 or a Ford 8.8 rear axle. That is one of the first mods you should look at IMHO, and you could still stay with the 33's for a while and just build toward 35's if you want (or not). With a beefier rear axle, you wouldn't have an issue with a locker, and it would be a step toward larger tires.

To go up in tire size, you're also going to be looking at steering upgrades, brake upgrades, most likely a lift upgrade, and quite possibly an sye, ca's etc. depending on what you have and where you're going.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
List of mods for 35's:

D44/8.8/9" rearend
chromo shafts front/rear
Good quality CA's
SYE
Rear DC shaft
Good quality springs and shocks of your choice
Good quality f/r adjustable trackbars
Heavy duty steering (ZJ minimum, Currie HD recommended)
Good quality selectable locker front and rear (Preferred over autos)
Deeper gear ratios (more than likely 4:88 or deeper with D44's on both sides)
Good quality ball joints and u-joints (spicer or similar)
Upgraded front brakes (Vanco preferred/recommended)
Under armor- GTS, tranny/t-case (TT with cable shifter), engine

Well, that's a good place to start...and what was your budget?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
List of mods for 35's:

D44/8.8/9" rearend
chromo shafts front/rear
Good quality CA's
SYE
Rear DC shaft
Good quality springs and shocks of your choice
Good quality f/r adjustable trackbars
Heavy duty steering (ZJ minimum, Currie HD recommended)
Good quality selectable locker front and rear (Preferred over autos)
Deeper gear ratios (more than likely 4:88 or deeper with D44's on both sides)
Good quality ball joints and u-joints (spicer or similar)
Upgraded front brakes (Vanco preferred/recommended)
Under armor- GTS, tranny/t-case (TT with cable shifter), engine

Well, that's a good place to start...and what was your budget?
My budget ? :)

Well I know it would be expensive build and that's the reason I am trying to find out the "need". Some of my buddies run 37" and 40" on Rubicons and the jeeps are built like tanks :)

So why not Dana 44 in the front? And back?

And BTW what are sye? And CA?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
My budget ? :) Well I know it would be expensive build and that's the reason I am trying to find out the "need". Some of my buddies run 37" and 40" on Rubicons and the jeeps are built like tanks :) So why not Dana 44 in the front? And back? And BTW what are sye? And CA?
Slip yoke eliminator and Control arms...?

If you're gonna go bigger then find some D60's rather than just doing 44's. Easier to find and stronger!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts