Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at purchasing a jeep again after having to sell my yj couple years back. I found a tj that he says the front driveshaft was stolen from it.
I am trading my truck for the jeep and i don't have alot of money to buy what looks to be a 770$ factory replacement part. Could someone tell me what to get that is cheaper so I can get back into a jeep. It can be a custom one a different style it doesn't matter i just want something that works and is relatively cheap cause 700+ is not in the budget at all.

the tj in question is a 99 wrangler 4" lift 2.5L 5speed.
thanks for any help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Varify gearing in both axles. Before putting in the new shaft. Could get disasterous if the gearing is actually different

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
While Tom Wood is a great suggestion for a less costly new replacement front driveshaft, also look on eBay and Craigslist too. Just make sure what you buy is configured for a TJ with the 2.5L engine and the same transmission you have. The driveshaft length varies by engine and transmission type, and its diameter varies between one made for a 5-speed vs. the smaller diameter driveshaft required if the Jeep has an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Jerry, I just broke my front driveshaft. Must have bent it on a rock last time. Today, it twisted and broke in half. If I buy a used driveshaft from eBay, should I have a driveahaft shop check it out or can I put new I joint in and bolt it up? My understanding is that Spicer's 5-1310x u-joints are the way to go - correct?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Yep the Spicer 5-1310x would be a great choice of u-joint. I can't say if a used DS would need to be checked out by a driveshaft but a good eyeballing of it & working of the u-joints by hand to check for slop would at least give you a good idea if bolting it up is a reasonable thing to do.

Heck send the eBay seller a message & ask him its condition... most are honest if they receive a direct message/question like that.

Also, ask the seller if the DS is from a TJ with an automatic or manual transmission. They have two different diameters with the driveshaft from an automatic being much skinnier in order to clear the transmission pan.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is the smaller diameter DS weaker or stronger than the standard? If it's equal or better, I will take the additional clearance, but need something strong in case I ding it again. Mine is a manual and the wall thickness of this shaft is fairly thin material.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
I'd only go for the larger diameter driveshaft from a manual. Manual transmissions can cause a lot more shock-loading of the drivetrain so the stronger larger-diameter driveshaft will be a desirable thing. You definitely don't need the additional clearance the smaller diameter DS would provide.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Tom Wood is of course widely known for making an outstanding product, but he is even better known for his nearly incredible pre and post-sales support. I have been running his driveshafts for at least 10-12 years and couldn't be happier with them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ha! Maybe the guy who stole my DS broke it and needed another so he stole another one! Sometimes i think the zombie apocalypse needs to come because of D-Bags like these thieves.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great thing about Tom Woods is his products are great and you can call him up and talk directly with him. I love that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts