Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into a fuel cell.........reading info that says the TJ pump is about 9" long/deep. and might collapse a small amount but does not extend.........is this true?

the only tanks made to fit the TJ pumps are 12" deep. so i'm wondering what gives with the 3" of fuel i cannot reach.
does anyone know if the p/u tube can be extended?

i have emails out to both mfgr's, but nobody's responded yet.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, i musta misread something.

i found info that the TJ pump will work in a 12" deep tank. and it could be compressed a little to function in a tank as shallow as 9".

but would like some substantiating input........

then i read info that says that the TJ pump set into the genright pump ring won't work in an RCI 30x12x9. the ring holds it up and it ends up being unsupported in the tank.
but then in the next breath, they say it works in a genright tank that measures 30x12x14 off the same pump ring.

Motobuilt has a cell w/ mount and flat pump ring for 445$, 15g 30x12x9.
Genright has cell w/baffles, mount tabs and the pump rings built in for 599$, 20g 30x12x14.

then the rest are no matter they mostly run external pumps....which is an option too.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's alot to weigh.

the motivation comes from wanting to stretch the rear axle back, when i rework my rear suspension (back of the wheels at the back of the tub).

this leaves options like the 'Alien' tank, or a fuel cell. or a 3rd option of bringing my tank partially up through the floor (so it's flush with the frame rails).
then you have to consider how your feeding and regulating the fuel (inside or outside the tank).
then internal baffles are desirable, foam will work but should be changed every couple yrs ($). an empty box is a lot of slosh (noise) and could split seams (on aluminum) if not kept in check. if i did opt for an empty cell, it'd likely be a poly bladder inside a steel box.

i really want the rear bed space for my big spare to lay flat.
a cell negates this, unless the wheel is held angled or upright.

bringing my tank up even with the bottom of frame would protrude the unit about 4" into the rear of the tub, and i could cap all this and technically it'd still be below the vehicle and not inside.

i got a lot to consider here.
the curiosity was about the odd math in some posts about the pumps working depth zone.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
ok, i musta misread something.

i found info that the TJ pump will work in a 12" deep tank. and it could be compressed a little to function in a tank as shallow as 9".

but would like some substantiating input........
The fuel pump assembly is spring loaded, it self-adjusts to work with shallower 15 vs. deeper 19 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got out and got some #'s, and a good peek.
to pull my tank up and have the room i want it'd have to be elevated about 8". it's doable but then i have an 8Hx35Wx20L cover and have used most of my bed space already.

the Alien is 1200$, and only holds 11gl, so lets just rule it out now...
the Moto looks ok. but is just an empty box, the TJ pump ring is the specialty piece.

so right now the Genright generic 20gl w/baffles looks good. but at a 600$ tag i think i could still shave a few $.
a lot of race teams in Ohio. and i have some lines out about a custom cell. if it's under 600 it's a viable option.
and i found several baffled tanks, that i still need to investigate.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i made a few calls and got confirmations.........like i suspected the Motobuilt is an empty box. it'll use the TJ pump with their clamp ring but has no baffling or reserve tray. would need interior partition and reserve tray, and then baffle balls could be used.

RCI makes a unit that'll accept an internal pump. so i could make the TJ pump unit work. it says it's baffled but it's just a tall trap around the pump, not full sectional baffles. baffle balls would work inside this unit.

Genright says there's is sectional, using baffled walls to split the cell into smaller sections to avoid slosh and hold fuel toward the pump.

the other issue is how much fuel to carry? would a 15gl tank be enough?
do i need 19gl if she gets trailer-ed to the site?
less fuel = smaller vessel, less space, less weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts