Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 TJ where I can't put gas in the tank. I have dropped the tank twice - once to make replace the skid plate and a second time because after I reinstalled I was unable to add gas without overflow. I opened the tank and pulled the overflow valve and sanded the edges to make it work more smoothly as is noted on many videos, etc. I put the tank back and I still have the same issue - when I try and fill it acts as if it is full and spits gas out - it won't take gas. When I leave the gas cap on and wait a while to take it off I get a rush of pressure which would make me think the breather hose is clogged but I don't think that is the issue. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I've not seen posts about this on this forum as I've not been on here too long, but I know this is an issue and have seen many posts on the problem on jeepforum.com, I just can find any at the moment with the fixes people have done. I think the problem is mainly with a valve a few inches down the neck of the tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I fixed the filler neck issue - I dropped the tank again (third time) and it seems the vent tube is somehow obstructed - it seems to be in the white unit that the vent hose plugs into - not sure if that is removable/replaceable??

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When you removed the ICV was it stuck closed?

If not & assuming the ICV that you sanded on is not sticking closed you are probably right. You must have a kinked/blocked vent hose which goes to the EVAP canister/leak detection assembly behind the RR tire or the vent valve in the flow valve may be stuck (closed).

Here is the description of that process from the FSM.

As fuel starts to flow through the fuel fill tube, it
opens the normally closed check valve and enters the
fuel tank. Vapor or air is expelled from the tank
through the control valve and on to the vapor canister.

Vapor is absorbed in the EVAP canister until
vapor flow in the lines stops. This stoppage occurs
following fuel shut-off, or by having the fuel level in
the tank rise high enough to close the control valve.

This control valve contains a float that rises to seal
the large diameter vent path to the EVAP canister.

At this point in the refueling process, fuel tank pressure
increases, the check valve closes (preventing liquid
fuel from spiting back at the operator), and fuel
then rises up the fuel filler tube to shut off the dispensing
nozzle.

05 NVLD.jpg

Here is a diagram of the flow valve from the FSM too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am 99% sure it is an issue with the flow valve. With the tank pulled and sitting on the ground not connected to anything and I try and fill the tank I get the same issue - which make me think its the valve. When I try to blow into or suck air out of the vent line it is very restricted, which makes me think the valve is stuck? When I took the tank off originally to replace the skid plate I washed the outside of the tank thoroughly, so I am wondering if I "rolled" the tank to clean the bottom did the anti-rollover valve kick in and closed and didn't re-open when I put the tank back to normal? I can't find anything on how to remove or check the valve? Is there a "reset" process once it has been "rolled over"?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don’t know of any reset. I have heard of some rolling but never that they couldn’t fill the tank after (assuming they survive to live on).

It sounds to me like there is just a float & spring in the valve so should not be anything to keep it closed. Of course there is no reason for the ICV to stay closed (or open) but that has been a problem for a long time because of bad clearances when that valve was designed or manufactured.

I’m pretty sure that valve is a permanent part of the tank & probably can’t be removed or replaced.

Hope you don’t end up needing a tank. They are specific to ’05 & ‘06s so hard to find, I’m sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t know of any reset. I have heard of some rolling but never that they couldn’t fill the tank after (assuming they survive to live on).

It sounds to me like there is just a float & spring in the valve so should not be anything to keep it closed. Of course there is no reason for the ICV to stay closed (or open) but that has been a problem for a long time because of bad clearances when that valve was designed or manufactured.

I’m pretty sure that valve is a permanent part of the tank & probably can’t be removed or replaced.

Hope you don’t end up needing a tank. They are specific to ’05 & ‘06s so hard to find, I’m sure.

So......I actually cut the flow valve out of the tank - I cut the rubber seal - and there are two floats in the valve. One of them had the same issue that people see on the fill valve - it was stuck. I popped the bottom off of the valve unit to disassemble, pulled out the two floats and did light sanding on the parts that stick out on the float to guide it, reinstalled, and they work fine now. I used "Seal-All" for the reinstall and it worked great. The valve is not a serviceable part but you can service it if you are creative.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Good work. Yes getting creative is the key & becoming necessary as our TJs age.

Good write up on the procedure. Did you happen to shoot any photos of the disassembled valve?

Thank you for posting this I’m sure it will help others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts