Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if TJ full doors fit on a YJ. I have searched google and on the forum and no one has provided a solid, definitive answer. If I could just find some YJ full doors that would be great, but they are rarer than diamonds. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have cj7 doors on mine, they work great. One time, just for fun, we tried to put my buddys tj 1/2 doors on my yj, it was not happening, so i wouldnt even consider trying the full tj doors. plus I think the tj windshield angle is different.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
They're different and won't work. CJ/YJ are interchangeable but when Jeep built the TJ, they changed the striker and latch on the door. There may also be slight measurement changes as well but not completely sure on that part. If you already have TJ doors, sell them and by CJ or YJ doors :thumb:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The windshield angle is sloped back further on a TJ than on a YJ. So the front top edge of the door will not line up with a YJ windshield frame. The door wont work.

And the door is longer toward the bottom. If you had a TJ near to compare you would immediately know why they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
check out an article from JP magazine. TJ doors will work on a YJ, some modifications or trimming required. Outside angle of tj is different but inside angle is same as yj.
Yeah, they dont fit. Door seals are different, door striker is different. Yeah you can make it work trying to reengineer everything yourself but it's not worth the effort. Just buy the proper doors.

• Haha
Reactions: GCAL

·
Super Moderator
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Forum E M L,

Without having the article to read, I doubt that it can be done in a reliable, sanitary and fully functional manner. For the first half of my working career, I was an autobody repair technician. I wouldn't want to attempt to fit TJ doors to a YJ.
There's a degree of practicality to every modification. I've seen pics where two similar cars were cut in half and the front halves were welded together to make one drivable vehicle. Was it different? For sure. Was it practical? Probably not.

IMHO, the most practical thing to do if a person wants hard doors is to find a pair of doors that were made for that vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts