Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2001 TJ for my wife. Have one already myself.

I am thinking of headlights for her, but have never tried LED yet.

Have read several threads and they are unquestionably better in performance.

However, the question is how good are they in snow and ice as it does get snowy here at times - not too bad this year but still had around 4 inches this past week fall, and some years are far worse than this one.

So what are options, how well in snow/ice do they perform and would I be better to look at HID projection or something else? Do they even still make HID projection kits?

Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The 'cheap' ones are unheated and will cover over and freeze.
The heated ones are outside my price range for bulbs.

When it snows, I drive my sacrificial 2500HD and leave the 'cheap' headlights on my TJ in its nice comfortable garage. :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have managed to stay alive using unheated LED's here in NH. They only coat with wet snow. Cold dry snow jist blows right off, unlike the heated ones and halogens where the dry snow melts and freezes on them instead.
Catch 22, pick your poison. Even unheated LED's far surpass the stock ones, and even coated over they throw light as good as stock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
In a frigid climate, stock halogen bulbs won't melt any significant amount of ice or snow in a storm. Regardless of the bulb, you're going to have to remove the ice manually. Even heated LED housings are only good down to a specific temperature. Feel free to choose whichever headlight you wish. When the storm comes, it won't make much of a difference.

Wiring the headlights directly to the battery with an aftermarket harness is the most effective headlight upgrade for 4L Jeeps. You'll notice significantly more output regardless of the bulbs.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html#/

https://youtu.be/JGf9eNK5ZYA

·
Super Moderator
14,284 Posts
I've posted many times, The H4 upgrade with a headlight harness (loom) is the biggest bang for the buck of any of the mods for street driven Jeeps that I've seen.
Around $130.00 including a good harness.
A good set of heated LED headlights is an the neighborhood of $500.00. I can't imagine the LEDs produce $350.00 worth of additional usable light.
In Colorado, you need the heated LEDs for winter driving. Many Jeepers don't drive their Jeeps in the winter because of the salt causing rust, so the heated lights may not be an issue for them.

My YJ has H4 conversion lamps that have glass lenses. I don't remember the snow freezing on them the few rare times I drove in the snow.

As a matter of personal opinion, I think LEDs look unnatural on a Wrangler. However, there's a butt for every seat. If folks wouldn't buy them, they wouldn't sell them.
JMHO.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I agree with @Luckymac
I did the Hella H4 conversion in my TJ. Used the Hella bulbs too. No loom change, glass lenses. They were a huge upgrade over stock.
I wanted better with my JK, but the Hella's were outstanding.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I have a JK and my step-son has a TJ. I first went with an H4 conversion in my JK and I was very disappointed in the performance. They were an improvement over the stock headlights, but still not very good. I would drive my wife's Toyota Highlander and the Highlander's headlights were so much better. I replaced my H4 headlights with Quadratec LED headlights and they have been a huge improvement.

My step-son complained one day about how horrible the lighting was on his TJ. I replaced his stock sealed beam lights with H4 KC headlight lenses and I used LED bulbs in them. He was immediately surprised at how much better the lighting was. I had to adjust the aim of the headlights to match the factory aim. This setup cost about $200. It was $130 for the pair of KC H4 headlights and $70 for a pair of H4 LED bulbs from Superbrightleds.com.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-4000-lumensset/3929/8565/

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hella H4's Much improved performance without blinding on coming traffic like LED's do.
IMHO LED's should be banned too f'ing bright coming at you. Some of them new trucks suck with the blinding headlights.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The 'cheap' ones are unheated and will cover over and freeze.
The heated ones are outside my price range for bulbs.

When it snows, I drive my sacrificial 2500HD and leave the 'cheap' headlights on my TJ in its nice comfortable garage. :)
I have not experienced any icing-over issues on my unheated LED lights from Amazon (LX Light), affecting visibility. This is my daily driver and I am also in New England.

I have had these for two winters now. While we have not seen much snow this year, we have had a number of snow storms and plenty of icing events since I installed them in December 2018.

While not "heated", there is some heat generated by the LEDs.

Maybe they generate just enough heat to prevent icing. Maybe I have been lucky over the last 14 months. Icing has not been an issue for me at all and I would definitely consider the same lights for less than $100.

Just figured I would pass along my own experience as an FYI...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in sunny Florida not real worried of freezing temps, with that said last weekend i got a set of the Hella H4 and wow what a difference from stock. no adjusting, no pissing off on coming traffic and way more usable light. wish i had done this sooner.

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
While I agree that the "best bang for the buck" may be the H4 housings, but after going down that road and thinking they were great, I also upgraded my 2015 candles in a jar to the H4s. Then I traded in my 2015 for a 2017 that had Mopar LEDs as standard equipment. First time at night and OH WOW!. Yes, the quality LEDs cost more, but the first time you turn them on in a dark night, you won't ever want to go back.

After a while, I succumbed and installed a set of Quadratec GenII LEDs in my TJ to replace the H4s. On low beams, it's a push which are better, the OEM Mopars in my 2017 or the GenIIs in my TJ. On high beams, the GenIIs are better. They still have a cut off, but it's higher (about 3/4 way to the top of the trees well ahead and on the left side of the road going to my house (in the boonies). The Mopars don't have any cutoff so light of the very top of those same trees and a little less distance penetrating ahead on the road.

No way would I want to have to go back to the H4s.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the 12 year old original sealed beams on the TJ were about a 3, the H4s were a 6 and the Mopar LEDs about a 9 and the GenIIs about 10.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,526 Posts
I just purchased a 2001 TJ for my wife. Have one already myself.

I am thinking of headlights for her, but have never tried LED yet.

Have read several threads and they are unquestionably better in performance.

However, the question is how good are they in snow and ice as it does get snowy here at times - not too bad this year but still had around 4 inches this past week fall, and some years are far worse than this one.

So what are options, how well in snow/ice do they perform and would I be better to look at HID projection or something else? Do they even still make HID projection kits?

Thanks.

Hey there,

I would highly recommend our Heated LED Projector beam headlights:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-cj-wrangler-tj

These are great for the snow! We do offer a forum discount if you would like a quote just PM me!

Have a great day,
Hailey

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I really don't like the looks of most of the LED's, sorry Quadratec those lights are butt ugly
Plus where the heck are you going so fast in TJ that you need that visibility so far ahead of you?
I drive a few old back roads at night 50-55 MPH and the H4's are sufficient.
Many of the LED's you face on-coming are blinding. Whoever designed the JL front lights should be.... They are the most obnoxiously blinding especially that little light bar thingy on the flair.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Another vote for E-Code housings and H4 bulbs over LED headlamps, especially the cheap Chinese knockoffs.

The Hella E-Code kit can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=twister_B077SCM6TP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rather than standard 60/55w H4 bulbs I use Philips Xtreme Vision +130 60/55w H4 bulbs. Slightly "whiter" light than the standard H4 so they appear brighter to the driver without being harsh or blinding to oncoming traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00NMEEOV2

Aim your E-Code housings as described here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased the Rough County 7" LED headlights for my TJ at a cost around $300. I like the lights as they are a really a very great improvement over stock, but it comes with a cost….seems like when I turn on the lights, it causes RFI to the radio and caused the FM stations to go to static... Rough County says its a bad ground in the headlights, but they plugged into the original harness which was not having problems before this. I was told ferrite coils would be needed on the wire harness to kill out the RFI....otherwise the lights are really nice....If I had known about the problem before hand, I would have done something else.

·
Registered
884 Posts
. . . seems like when I turn on the [LED headlights], it causes RFI to the radio and caused the FM stations to go to static. . . .
LED's are known for causing RFI, especially the cheap LED's.

That is one of the reasons I chose tried and true E-Code housings and H4 halogen bulbs for my LJ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My concern is the light pattern, my JK's pattern is fine but there isn't enough actual light on the ground so I researched for a real comparison of the light pattern between the various replacement options and that led me to Headlight Revolution. Their testing of all the bulbs, LEDs, etc. finds that only a few of them are any good. https://headlightrevolution.com/

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Another vote for E-Code housings and H4 bulbs over LED headlamps, especially the cheap Chinese knockoffs.

The Hella E-Code kit can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=twister_B077SCM6TP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rather than standard 60/55w H4 bulbs I use Philips Xtreme Vision +130 60/55w H4 bulbs. Slightly "whiter" light than the standard H4 so they appear brighter to the driver without being harsh or blinding to oncoming traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00NMEEOV2

Aim your E-Code housings as described here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

I’m another in this camp. I did exactly what was listed above along with the harness upgrade, and I’m very happy with the improvement over stock. I think the 1-10 comparison above is on point
3 stock
6 e-code+Phillips+harness
9 Quality LEDs

My wife had an Acura MDX, and the projector LEDs that had, and it’s cutoff, were in another league compared to my h4 setup. But, as others have mentioned the cost vs benefit is an individual decision.

Just don’t be that douche canoe who gets the cheap LEDs that have no control and blind every oncoming driver.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts