Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running down the highway at approx 55 mph, my TJ got slammed on the right rear by a large doe a couple of days ago. When she hit, the back of the Jeep skidded over and I thought the damage would be serious given the sound and feel of the impact. When I pulled over and looked back, the deer was kicking on the roadway and seemed to be hurt pretty bad.

I got out and checked the TJ for damage and couldn't find a single trace where the deer struck the Jeep. Then I looked back and noticed the doe limping off the highway and into the woods.

To date I can't find anything wrong with the Jeep and I can only surmise that the TJ is so light that the deer's impact moved it over when it hit. Of course, the fender flare is flexible and the tire may have absorbed some of the hit.

Ever had something like this happen to your Jeep? If so, how much damage did you get?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Running down the highway at approx 55 mph, my TJ got slammed on the right rear by a large doe a couple of days ago. When she hit, the back of the Jeep skidded over and I thought the damage would be serious given the sound and feel of the impact. When I pulled over and looked back, the deer was kicking on the roadway and seemed to be hurt pretty bad.

I got out and checked the TJ for damage and couldn't find a single trace where the deer struck the Jeep. Then I looked back and noticed the doe limping off the highway and into the woods.

To date I can't find anything wrong with the Jeep and I can only surmise that the TJ is so light that the deer's impact moved it over when it hit. Of course, the fender flare is flexible and the tire may have absorbed some of the hit.

Ever had something like this happen to your Jeep? If so, how much damage did you get?

:popcorn:
Did you find and kill the doe?!...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
"Did you find and kill the doe?!..."

No, I did not find and kill the doe.
so you injured a deer and just left?!.. why?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If it got up and left it would be at least a mile away before it dropped...if it did.
Not always true. Even if it went 2 miles, have the decency and respect to be sure it'll survive or take care of it.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Sorry but if I hit a deer i'm not going to go even half a mile to try and find it if it got back up. If it's dead on the spot i'll drag it off the road cut out the back straps. Here in Missouri, especially this time of year, the deer are moving a lot on the road I drive to work on. I'm not going to go marching around in the state park looking for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In some states it's a felony to "harvest" a deer after you hit it. Just a heads up..... So not looking for it might not be very sportsman like, but it could keep you out if trouble with the law.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i personally wouldnt go looking for the deer. esp since he didnt hit it, the deer hit him.

In some states it's a felony to "harvest" a deer after you hit it. Just a heads up..... So not looking for it might not be very sportsman like, but it could keep you out if trouble with the law.
would oregon be one of those states?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i personally wouldnt go looking for the deer. esp since he didnt hit it, the deer hit him.

would oregon be one of those states?
page 28. ODFW big game regs. Not sure if it's a felony if it's a felony here though....

■■No person shall possess or transport any game mammal or part thereof, which has been illegally killed, found or killed for humane reasons, except shed antlers, unless they have notified and received permission from personnel of the Oregon State Police or ODFW prior to transporting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
TJS2000 said:
page 28. ODFW big game regs. Not sure if it's a felony if it's a felony here though....

■■No person shall possess or transport any game mammal or part thereof, which has been illegally killed, found or killed for humane reasons, except shed antlers, unless they have notified and received permission from personnel of the Oregon State Police or ODFW prior to transporting.
Thanks. I'll have to remember that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Happened to me in Oklahoma. I was doing 25 when the deer hit me. Doe broke front left shoulder and leg. I put it out of its misery and had some meat in the freezer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts