Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 jeep tj and it has considerable frame rust. You can take a light hammer to it and it rains flakey rust. My question is that i have sourced another tj frame from a guy but its from a 2004 jeep. Will my body, which is good bolt up to a 2004 frame? Hope its not to silly of a question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If i am not mistaken, on 2003 and up the mounting for the steering box is different and the skid plate is different.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
All of the above are 100% correct. Check around and between your upper and lower control arm mounts . Especially the rear. Take a screwdriver and hammer and see if you can tap a hole through the rusty areas. If not then sand blast your frame and paint it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frame is pretty much rusted to hell. i can flake huge chunks out of the drain holes. I just want to replace it. If i get a 2004 frame, would the steering box and skid plate be the only two things i need to replace to make this fit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only thing i would be concerend with on the transfer case skid plate is if the trans mount is in the same place between the 01 and 04 skid. If it's the same transmission, which i believe it is, you shouldn't have any problems. The steering box i am not sure about. I don't see a problem unless jeep changed the sizes of the power steering hoses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts