Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing this swap soon I would like to ask your option on this.

1. Is there any advantage to doing this swap?

2. Is the spline count the same on the tj vs the yj?

3. Is the pass side machined for a seal next to the chunk?

4. Will it only need one seal on the pass side next to the chunk? I have read that you will need both inner and outer but I dont see any reason for the outer one because of the inner one:confused:

5. Will my yj hubs work ie the spline count?

Thanks in advance I know if anyone knows y'all will!

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
You must mean swapping to a solid passenger side axle right? Yes there is an advantage, you dont have to rely on vacuum to be properly engaged when switching to 4wd. The spline counts are the same, just get an inner axle seal meant for a tj. When i replaced the seal the only one i did was the one by the CAD housing

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
they will be larger than the ones on your axle shafts.. you know you can use cherokee front axle shafts too right? probably cheaper and easier to find at a junkyard. obviously you'd have to replace both axle shafts so you have the same size u-joint on both sides

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
you install the seal first, and if i recall correctly you dont need to replace the driver side, the shaft size should be the same, could be wrong though

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I was talking about the tj tube seals that keep crap outta the axle tubes on the outside next to the hubs. The ones I have seen have a grease fitting on them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yep, the alloy axle tube seal well work with either the tj or xj shafts. U rub these seals with my tj shafts. And the passenger side will need a new oil seal installed at the carrier. I left my shift fork in my tube but removed everything else from the tube at the cad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just found a 1990 Cherokee part out on CL. The front axle shafts are the ones I need to do the swap on my yj right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts