Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Lift: 2" coil spacers
Shocks: Rancho RS9000XL
SYE/CVD: N/A
Tires/Wheels: BFG All-Terrain 31x10.5x15 on Generic Matte Black Alloy Wheels (15xnot sure)

Likes: I am the 6th (gasp!) owner of my Jeep. The 4th owner built it up a bit. There were Pro Comp ES3000 shocks on the front and either stock or some brand that I am not aware of on the back. 2 days ago, I upgraded the shocks to the Rancho RS9000XL's. Oh, Dear, Lord. Hard to explain the improvement in ride. All driving has been on road, but I've been telling people that I've gone from a bucking bronco to a civilized ride. Best money I've ever spent.

Dis-likes: The previous owner put on the coil spacers, which is not ideal. I'd like to get some 2" OME springs sometime in the near future.

Would You Recommend: Um, hell yes. There is a magazine called "Overland Journal" that did a comparison test of the big players in off-road aftermarket shocks including my Rancho's, Old Man Emu, Bilstein, and Fox as well as a couple others that escape me at the moment. The Rancho's were the hands down winner of the test having won nearly ever category measured. That's what sold me on these shocks as well as their adjustability. By the way, I have them set at 5, the middle setting, per the Overland Journal recommendation. I have not been off-road with them yet, but if the on-road quality is any indication, I'm sure they will do splendidly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lift: 2 inch OME coils
Shocks: Bilstein 5100's
SYE/ CVD: N/A
Tires: Mastercraft courser AXT on Raceline rims

Likes: Ride is very smooth and has almost no bounce. Glad I took the advice of many here on the forum and went with the OME set up

Dis-likes: It was pricey, but hopefully it will not need to be replaced for a long time

Would I recommend: Yes, as others have mentioned, save the money and go with a good lift the first time and you will be happy and save money in the long run.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2004 TJ Rubicon

3 inch BDS
1 inch Day Star Body Lift
1 inch Brown Dog MM Lift
Tom Woods DS Front and Rear
Metalcloak rear upper and lower control Arms

BDS came with front and rear adjustable track bars and fixed lower front control arms.

Pros. BDS Lift. Price, Ride, Easy Install, Warranty
Pros. Day star lift, completely new pucs

Con. Major vibrations after lift. Pinion in rear was completely off. Had to buy adjustable control arms in rear to get pinion in line. Same issue in front. Stock caster angle creates too much vibrations. Planning to purchase adjustable front arms soon.

The BDS parts seem to be very high quality. They also have a tech shop that answers the phone which is nice.

Overall very happy. Just know that when you lift your Jeep plan on fixing the problems the lift creates. Part of life.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update to Post #122. The RE 2" BB lift with RE monoshocks and RE replacement steering stabilizer has run VERY well for 3 years. Then we put 33/12.5 tires and new wheels on it several months ago just to see how it would go even though we already purchased a yet to be installed 3.5" lift. We ran for months with these tires and wheels on just a 2" lift. No rubs, drove great, no issues! HIGHLY RECOMMEND and if you have the same set-up don't worry about running 33'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since this thread helped me so much, least I can do is give my two cents. I bought a slightly modified version of the OME Ultimate Kit from DPG Offroad where, if you haven't heard, Dirk is the man. Knows his stuff, is patient, and only has your best interest in mind. I was running the stock suspension and had 104xxx miles on it, so it was utterly whooped. I currently have heavy springs in rear and medium to heavy in the front. I wanted it more like a pickup since I have an LJ and tow/haul often. It rides like a pickup, which is ideal for me, but is 10000% better than stock. The suspension over bumps is just coil-rebound, no second or third bounce so it feels far more controlled. I installed Black Magic Brakes, and though the brakes are stronger, the Jeep doesn't dive like it used to under braking. It took me 6 hours to install on my own, so it shouldn't be tough for a shade-tree mechanic with some beer and half-decent tools. Overall, it's a phenomenal kit and well worth the money. If you have the extra coin to do so, or can wait and save up for it, I highly recommend it. You can do it right once, or spend extra time and money down the road fixing any issues that may arise. Do what's safe first and budget-friendly second.

EDIT: pics show stock vs OME, stock ride height, then lifted ride height.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
3.5" RE Superflex PLUS

Lift Round 2 (First lift documented in posts #122 and updated in #166)

2005 TJ X Rocky Mountain Edition
33x12.5 tires on Procomp alloy wheels

3.5" RE Superflex (about $920 at QT)
After reading reviews here and elsewhere I was concerned about this set-up by itself and added:
upper front/rear adj control arms
JKS front/rear adj track arms
Advanced Adapters SYE
Tom Woods driveshaft
(previously installed) RE monotube shocks

At this point, the install was going to be far beyond my skill level so I had a mechanic install all the parts. Even so, we had the following problems:

-QT ordered wrong driveshaft even though we verified my rear end using VIN. Had to return and get the right one.
-Not knowing I was going to add the SYE/DS combo the "straight" bracket for the rear track bar was included in the original RE lift kit. Had to order the "angled" bracket separately for better fit-up.
-I got a pair of rear struts with one 10" long and the other 8" long. RE sent me a pair of replacement 8".

Had to do this in two rounds due to parts issues. The lift was installed without the new SYE/DS, transfer case drop kit and angled bracket. I drove it home to await new parts. Wow what a trip that was. At 10mph I thought it was going to shake itself apart. Death wobble at 10mph! Drove ok at 40-45mph. Second round took care of everything but he missed the speedometer gear somehow working on the SYE so I had to go back and have him get my speedometer working again.

This combo got me up higher than expected. These pictures show the front and rear fender heights with no lift and 31" tires, 2" RE BB spacer lift with monotube shocks, and this last "3.5" lift with 33" tires. So I went from 32.5" in front to 38 1/4" (about 5.5" overall) and 32.5" rear to 38 3/4" (about 6" overall). Looks like I got my rake back. Assuming tires account for 1" of that, this ended up being a 4.5" lift. I think I've seen others experience this as well.

PROS:
- Ended up getting more height out of the lift.
- Good quality parts
- Ride on road is "OK", could be worse
- No vibrations, wobble, hum through all gears and speeds up to 65mph

CONS:
- RE install instructions are notoriously bad. Look on-line there are a lot of great write-up with photos.
- Wrong parts. Get everything out and verify every step before you dig into it.
- Pricey.
- Ride on road is only "OK". It's more bouncy and you can feel the bumps in the road more than before.

Would I do it again? At this point I would have known the RE 2" BB spacer kit with monotube shocks would run 33/12.5 tires as well as it did I would not have installed this lift because of the price to get just 3 more inches. It drove very well with that set-up. But I had already purchased the lift before I found that out and just decided to go for it.

Last picture is from the previous lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sky jacker 4" economy lift kit

Shocks:Hydro 7000

the goods: as the name states its an economy lift so it totaled with shipping around $600. so VERY cheap. it comes with new lower control arms front and back new sway bars and a rear track bar relocating bracket (front requires a new hole drilled) new front and rear coil springs and four hydro shock, also a transfer case lowering bracket. it was an intermediate install, hit a couple hitches and overall took 16 hours -_- but wasnt too bad.
on-road: a bit bumpy at higher speeds although does well on large dips and holes.
off-road: ive only taken it on a short little test so far but it handled...surprisingly well ( for being an economy kit) decent compression decent return and great clearance with 33" tires.

The bad: terrible instructions and a somewhat arduous install. bumpy on road

Recommend? YES. if you want a lift and dont want to spend a ton of money, this is surprisingly worth it. not for serious off roading ut is a nice in between.

front

rear

Did you reuse the factory track bar or get an adjustable?

·
Registered
1 Posts
rough country 4in long arm lift

LIFT: rough country 4 in long arm with one inch bl
SHOCKS: rough country
TIRES/WHEELS: 285x70x17 on ford mustang rims

Likes: I really liked how complete of a kit I got for the price. all the control arms are really beefy and seem like they will take a beating. it came with adjustable track bars for the front and rear with new brackets to install. the ride on the street is great i was worried that after i lifted it it would have that top heavy feel like it was going to tip over. since i am on a budget i have not installed a sye and so far on the highway at 65 70 still no drive shaft vibes.

Dis-Likes: it took me 20hrs total from taking the tires off to putting it in drive to take for a ride.. i was on my back in a garage not on a lift. it would have been a lot easier to do on a lift for sure there is a lot of up and down to do. i wish that there was a instruction book for the whole kit in one book but no. they put random instructions for random parts in what ever box. but whatever you tube is your friend for doing any lift on a jeep.

Would You Recommend: YES! it looks great. rides great. flex is more than expected :iamhappy

should be going off road this weekend will post more pics of flex when i get back

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The back seat in my 2000 tj is unsecured and by that I mean I can put a little pressure on the back of the seat and tilt it up towards the driver and passenger seats is there some kind of bracket or something y'all would recommend for securing it down I bought it this way and finally getting around to fixing it

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
wondering what that has to do with a lift but--------align the quick brackets up and snap into place, it's a little jeggy, but once you do get it right, it will be a breeze to lock in and out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Teralfex 3" lift kit

My Lift...

LIFT: Teraflex 3" Lift Kit with shocks and lower adjustable control arms
SHOCKS: 9550 shocks
SYE/CVD: Currently on a transer case drop SYE soon...
TIRES/WHEELS: BFG All-Terrain 33x12.50R15 Unique steelies

Likes: Very nice lift kit, the ride is nice but firm, i have complete control of my jeep at highway speeds of 75+ no issues. It flexes nice off-road and i don't get thrown around in my jeep either. I think it sits a little over 3" maybe 3.25 but plenty of clearance for 33's. I also bought Rock Krawler lower adjustable control arms. Those things are beefy, i am going to replace the rest of my arms later with Rock krawlers. lifetime warranty no questions asked, good deal. i also have the teraflex adjustable front track bar, it holds up nicely and makes re centering my axle very easy.

Dis-Likes: No dislikes at all :)
Would You Recommend: YES! i got the lift kit with shocks at a discounted price from a local vendor, but if you can get this lift i would strongly recommend it. It's been on over 5K miles now, no sagging, still looks as good as the day i put it on. Install was done in my driveway, with jackstands and a jack. Got it done in a day

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
New North County SD Member

Just refreshed my '04 LJ with suspension, steering, tires and wheels. It currently sits at 96K miles and is bone stock. Ride was harsh, wicked wobble at 45-65 mph, tires poorly worn with cupping, front bumper tweaked.

Before

After

Pro Comp Alloy 7069 15x10
Pro Comp 31" MT2
OME 2" lift with transfer case drop spacers
JKS Front Track bar
Ruffstuff Y-Link steering
Warn Rock Crawler Bumper

I wanted to keep the stock gearing and just give it a more muscular stance. The type of wheeling I anticipate doing won't need tons of ground clearance. I really like how it turned out and the driving experience is night and day better. Can't wait to hit some East county trails this summer!

David

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
LIFT: JKS 2" JSpec, JKS 1.25" body lift, JKS 1" performance motor mounts
SHOCKS: Jspec
SYE/CVD: not needed
TIRES/WHEELS: BFG All-Terrain KO2 285/75-16" on stock Rubicon wheels

Likes: The Jspec kit is a very complete lift for the TJ. I added a rear track bar but it wasn't necessary. All of the JKS components are well engineered and form, fit, function is a great match with the the TJ. Suspension Lift is just a hair over the 2" with stock bumpers. Tires stuff perfectly under the fenders with no rubbing disconnected at full flex. I did have to add 2 washers to the steering stops to prevent lock-to-lock rubbing. Body lift pucks are well made and don't squeak.

Dis-Likes: The Jspec shocks are rough riding... not bad off-road but on road they leave much to be desired. Spend the money and jet the kit with the Fox shocks or buy something aftermarket. The install instructions were ok but not great.

Would You Recommend: YES! For the price, performance, and completeness of the kit, I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a very nice weekend-warrior setup running 32-33" tires.

Before the lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
LIFT: DPG OME Ultimate TJ Kit, MML and BL removed
SHOCKS: OME Nitrochargers
SYE/CVD: Rubicon included
TIRES/WHEELS: 255/75/R17 (32"x10") KMs w/ JK Rubicon 17" rims

Brief Description: Overall lift is advertised at 2"-2.5", however, I opted for heavier duty springs to suite my overweight TJ. End up with ZJ front coils and LJ HD rear coils.

Likes: Really smooth handling on and offroad. Biggest improvement over my old Pro Comp coils is the handling while turning around corners, almost not body roll and very controlled weight transfer. The OME coil and shock combination is what I would consider very sporty especially for a Jeep. Initially, the lift was fairly stiff after install but nothing I didn't expect due to my HD preference. While on the stiffer side, it's still very comfortable cruising at highway speeds absorbing road imperfections exceptionally well. 2000 miles after install, the lift has broken in a settled quite a bit and has only gotten smoother driving and more comfortable. Offroad, the suspension articulation is exceptional and cruises very well while disconnected on trails. After install, the lift sat at 3" but again since breaking in a bit it sits somewhere around 2.5" which is perfect for me. The JKS discos included in the kit are awesome, very easy install and easier to disconnect.

Dis-Likes: Not much besides maybe the lift being slightly stiffer than I wanted. Again, that has been resolved since being broken in.

Would You Recommend: Absolutely! Incredible product quality and perfectly pieced together by DPG. If the price tag is higher than you would like, save up and you'll very satisfied. Make sure to call Dirk at DPG before you order. He'll set you up with the best coil rates to suite your build. IMG_20160730_223803-1024x1024.jpg

20160731_144020.jpg

20160730_153152-1024x1365.jpg

IMG_20160624_131957.jpg

IMG_20160619_192532.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
currie 3.5. went from 33s t0 35s at same time. 15 y/o hard ridden springs, everything changed at once. I like it, had one zerk wouldn't fit, never called, had one zerk get torn off when something else failed.

PROS: works flawlessly so far, 8 months. gives me the clearance to gate in trouble.

CONS:Too high for daily use. Hard to get in (half crippled anyway)

Geared right didn't effect milage, 15 old, 14 new. works great, but if done again, would make it dedicated, keep the 35s, cut sheet metal, and only lift as necessary.

recommend, halfway between maybe and yes. been almost a year, found other problems that were amplified, so cant say. I beat up my JEEP before so.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont laugh, i bought it like this......

My 2000 TJ has a 3" BL and is sitting on 33" tires. There is no suspension lift.
I obviously want to correct this. I was thinking 2-2.5" suspension lift and reducing my BL to about a 1.5".
I am looking for input from others, is my plan the right thing to do? Are there any other recommendations? My off road travels are occasional and light. I put 1000 miles on my Jeep every 2 months, maybe.
I am wanting it to look good and drive well, mostly concerned about the on-road travel....

·
I always wanted a Jeep...
470 Posts
LIFT: Zone 4" with lower Control Arms
SHOCKS: Zone Gas
SYE/CVD: Crown Automotive with Tom Woods
TIRES/WHEELS: 33x12.5 on Fuel Offroad Anza 15" Wheels

Brief Description: Overall lift is advertised at 3.5 - 4", After all my reading I decided to go with Procomp Adjustable upper control arms and eliminate my rusty stock arms. I also added both front and rear adjustable track bars so I would not have to run any adapters. I had both of them lose on my Jeep when I purchased it. That was one wild ride home.

Likes: For the minimal amount of off roading I have been able to do this year it has performed rather well. After I put some miles on it it seemed to be more flexible than it was when first installed. It rode hard and was rather bouncy however, after putting around 750 - 1000 miles on it it started to ride better both on and off road. Please keep in mind all of my "offroading" was DNR 2 tracks or dirt roads with lots of mud and sand. There are not many rocks to crawl on here in MI. On road manners are Ok better than the broken springs and worn out shocks that were on it when I got it. I purposely did not upgrade to the Zone Nitro shocks as I knew I wanted to run either Fox 2.0s or Bilstein 5100's. I have not made that move yet.

This lift came with very detailed instructions and had more hardware than was necessary. This was a huge benefit as I was able to use some of the spare bolts for ones that broke during dis-assembly.

Dis-Likes: The lift is stiffer than I wanted. It has gotten much better post break in. This lift had more hardware included than was necessary. This initially caused me some confusion and I had to call Zone and ask why. I was told "This lift covers more than one year and model so extra hardware is needed". I looked and looked and did not find that in the instructions anywhere. That would have been helpful to know starting out and would have also saved me a week of waiting as I did the install on a weekend when they were not open.

Would You Recommend: I would recommend this lift. It performs well for me as I'm sure it would for others.

As stated I added some specific parts that I researched and chose. It may not be the best route for all however it's working well for me. This Jeep is my DD.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2000 TJ has a 3" BL and is sitting on 33" tires. There is no suspension lift.
I obviously want to correct this. I was thinking 2-2.5" suspension lift and reducing my BL to about a 1.5".
I am looking for input from others, is my plan the right thing to do? Are there any other recommendations? My off road travels are occasional and light. I put 1000 miles on my Jeep every 2 months, maybe.
I am wanting it to look good and drive well, mostly concerned about the on-road travel....
I'd say you have the right idea. That's definitely too much body lift. Most people don't go much more than 1.25" for body lift. I'd recommend the JKS body lift kit or just cutting the ones you have down from 3".

Make sure you adjust your motor mount lift to match.

For suspension lift - 2.5" is about the highest you should go. Higher than that there will be a cascade of other modifications to worry about and the on-road quality will suffer

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thread revival!!!

I have been nothing short of impressed with my Rock Krawler X factor 3.5" lift. Coupled with an xtreme short SYE and Adams DS it has been amazing. The new Krawler joints are smooth and allow great flexibility. I run 5100's and find them perfectly suited for street driving and even mild trail work. I do find they do fade quicker than I would like in open desert and will replace them with resivoir shocks when funds allow. This setup has allowed me to run all over SoCal, miller, johnson valley, red mountain etc and even the Rubicon without fail.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts