Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old jeep rattling exhaust. It sounds like thin metal shaking under the car, or some rocks in a coffee can, the sound is coming under the passanger seat. I was living fine with the noise, only happens sometimes on idle, and when accelerating at around 1500rmps. Someone told me today that it sounded like my jeep was going to fall apart so it kinda made me concern. :eek: If your living with the same rattle, how long has it been like that?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
It's more than likely the catalytic converter. Mine is doing the same thing. I need to get it replaced, and when I do I'm going with an aftermarket high flow one as well as a new muffler.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its been about 2 months sense the noise has been happening. Its not all that bad acually i just turn up the radio sense it only happens some times.. But people around me tend to think my ride is going to blow!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Are you sure your pipes aren't banging against something underneath? Shake them (when it's cold) and see if you can make it rattle. Mine used to hit the hitch and make a terrible racket. Of course if its the cat going, they do sound like heck till they finally blow out the stuff......:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im almost 100% positive that it is the cat going, i can hear it directly from it on the right side of my jeep. I dont think it's a big deal though. its just annoying when people point it out. "What's that noise?" lol i hear that every time i take someone for a ride.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mine rattled like a mother when you idled and turned it off. The catalyitic converter was hitting the skid plate and 15 minutes of sweat+jack+2 1 by pieces of wood solved the problem:) hoped that helped out. btw I used the jack to jack the pipe up just enough to wedge the wood between the skid plate and c. converter... not enough to bend it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like it only rattles sometimes, i guess under certain conditions, and it goes away in like 10 mins. Probably something has to fall or twist just right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's more than likely the catalytic converter. Mine is doing the same thing. I need to get it replaced, and when I do I'm going with an aftermarket high flow one as well as a new muffler.
Have you had the chance to replace your Cat Converter yet? I bought a magnaflow high flow converter but it didn't have the 02 bung pre-drilled so I can't use it, unless I get a welder to put a hole on it...Keep me posted bro, I need mine replace before my states inspection! lol Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It sounds like the Cat Converter heatshield is coming loose. Mine was that way for about a week and then decided to fall off. I never replaced it due to the fact I'm lifted and the top of the heatshield still in place. Take a a gander and see if thats the case, but do it when it cold or cools off. It's named heatshield for a reason!

·
Registered
99 Posts
mine is making the same sound. I slid under her and hit the mulffer several times with my hand(it had cooled down) and there was the rattle. Checked the heat shield and the converter also.I'm going to have a flowmaster installed this saterday.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i had a clunking and it was the two brackets that hold the exhaust up. It was banging against the fuel tank and something else over the skid plate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts