Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in the northeast the days are getting shorter and the weather colder/wetter, so i wanted to get this task done. had never done an auto trans change (drive mostly manuals), but did some research and decided to give it a try.

picked up a filter at the dealer for $18, and 4 qts of atf+4 fluid. started at 4pm, finished at 530 pm (same day!).

let me add some observations and suggestions:

1) please wear clothes you don't care about.

2) for those who have said that changing this fluid/filter is like changing motor oil/filter, i say "no way". there is a filter and 4 qts of fluid, but that's about the only similarity. there are about 15 bolts to remove/clean; a pan to remove and strip rtv off of then wash out with brake cleaner; the filter is torx bolted on, please don't strip the head!; put down lots of absorbent protection surrounding your pan, you'll probably need it.

3) i read many posts about doing this with the skid plate on. i tried, but realized things would go much better without it. it was the right thing to do.
the plate is only held on by 4 bolts. once dropped, it had clear access to the whole pan.

4) wear disposable gloves

5) the torx is a 25

6) use enough rtv, you don't want a leak.

7) i had a little scare, when i had it done i decided to take a quick spin. i started it up, shifted through the gears, then put in reverse-NOTHING. my stomach dropped some. i gave it a minute or two, then put in reverse again, and it moved!

the drive was short, shifted nice. no leaks, but will check again before bolting the plate back on.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice job.....one of those things I want to do but haven't.

Why did you use rtv instead of a factory or aftermarket gasket?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx. to my knowledge it comes from the factory with rtv. that's what was on it when i dropped the pan, as expected. the service/parts dept said this is standard as well. i believe there are aftermarket gaskets, but i just wanted to stick with what jeep used.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Correct the factory uses RTV but a gasket is fine to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts