Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have to replace the U-Joints in my rear shaft and am planning on lifting the jeep in the next year. Should I buy a new longer drive shaft for a 2.5 lift so I don't have to pay two install fees of over $400? or will the lengthened drive shaft hurt the drivetrain in that amount of time?

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
the only real way to know how long of a drive shaft you will need is to install the lift, set the axles, and measure the distance. therefore its almost impossible to purchase the proper length shaft before installing the lift.

yes, a longer driveshaft with oem suspension will likely bind and cause more damage

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
What is wrong with your current driveshaft?

The only time I saw a stock slipyoke driveshaft being too short was on friend's YJ with a SOA. He was jumping it in the dunes. It pulled out and made a mess of the tub and transfercase.

I wouldn't worry about the stock driveshaft being too short with only a 2.5" lift...and don't jump your jeep at the dunes. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts