Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 TJ with NV3550 that won't shift into 1st or reverse when it is hot (running 15-20min). Shifts fine when cold. I have done everything I can think. I have:
Had a transmission shop rebuild it (OK because had 230K on it)
Put new Centerforce clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing.
flywheel resurfaced
New master cylinder and slave cylinder (Bled unit off the Jeep)
Fluid is Redline MTL
All parts are new as we have been rebuilding for my daughter.
Please Help!!! I have run out of thoughts.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Did he shop to the R&R or just the transmission work while you did the R&R.

Was the flywheel resurfaced or turned? They are not supposed to be turned but lightly sanded to remove any glazing. The flywheel is not flat.

Have you gone back to talk to the transmission shop? Since the shifter goes into the top of the case it can't be linkage. Sounds like something internal is not quite in alignment.

A little over a year ago when I thought I was having issues with mine, but it was the clutch which made a big difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today as per someone's suggestion, I replaced the entire master cylinder/slave cylinder assembly with the pre-bled all in one assembly. This did not work. Still won't shift into first or reverse when it gets hot (after 20-30 min driving)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today as per someone's suggestion, I replaced the entire master cylinder/slave cylinder assembly with the pre-bled all in one assembly. This did not work. Still won't shift into first or reverse when it gets hot (after 20-30 min driving)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had same issue with 1st and 2nd gear turned out it was the fly wheel. The PO had a clutch job done on it and they resurfaced it. The flywheel is suppose to be convex most shops will resurface it flat or concaved.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Might make it chatter but no way I can see a flat flywheel preventing clutch release so would not keep it from going into gear

Maybe they rectified something else at the same time

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
This has got to be a first I've ever heard of a flywheel purposely being curved. How do they expect it to be resurfaced, or are they just banking on you spending big bucks for a new flywheel?

·
Registered
57 Posts
This has got to be a first I've ever heard of a flywheel purposely being curved. How do they expect it to be resurfaced, or are they just banking on you spending big bucks for a new flywheel?
Sounds crazy but it's true they come convex. Jeep flywheels are pretty cheap I picked up a new luk for $55

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Yes I know it has a dome and FSM says if needs more than an Emory cloth skuf replaced don't resurface

But still no way I can see a flat surface would make clutch not disengage so tranny not shifting is not flywheel resurface

Resurface flat make make slip sooner but not fail to release

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 TJ with NV3550 that won't shift into 1st or reverse when it is hot (running 15-20min). Shifts fine when cold. I have done everything I can think. I have:
Had a transmission shop rebuild it (OK because had 230K on it)
Put new Centerforce clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing.
flywheel resurfaced
New master cylinder and slave cylinder (Bled unit off the Jeep)
Fluid is Redline MTL
All parts are new as we have been rebuilding for my daughter.
Please Help!!! I have run out of thoughts.
This thread was from a long time ago but did you ever find a solution definitive solution to this? My TJ has a similar issue for the past couple years and I still haven't figured it out.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts