Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the best anchor points on a TJ to strap it down on a flat bed trailer? Initially I was thinking I was going to chain (with binder) around the rear axle, but then realized the brake line runs along the top of it...didn't want to risk crushing it.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
The frame is always the best place to tie down to. If you just do the axels, think of all the body roll that will occur any time you turn or hit a bump.

They make special hooks that go into holes on the frame for towing. Thats what wreckers typically use.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
There is a real art to properly securing a vehicle to a flatbed trailer so be careful how you do it. I'm not an expert on it but guys here like Blaine from Black Magic Brakes who flat-trailer their Jeeps around can help you out.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
After 190K miles of bumper hitch pulling I'd like to think I am as well versed as anyone to tell you how not to do it lol. I never hook to the frame because its nearly impossible to get all the suspension compression out of it and if you hit a hard bump and the rig moves down, there is a great chance it could come unhooked. I always tie to the axles and cross the back ones to keep it from sliding sideways. Anymore I use J-hooks but axle straps will work just as well. In a case of my truggy which is really really soft I also put one strap from the tow points on the frame as well to keep it from rolling side to side...on a street legal driving jeep, this will never be an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i went with "T" hooks to the frame slots but i think i would rather go with a wide strap over each wheel like blane does.

i like how his way works if a strap or two comes loose and each strap doesnt depend on anothers tightness...

with the suspension on my jeep it would probably be better for me to not use the frame now as there is just too much travel.

the opinions you will find on this subject are highly individual. i would definitly tie a stock jeep down differently than my modified one... everyone is pretty much right as long as the jeep is secured and positioned correctly.

axles or wheel/tire for me now..

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Use four straps and cross them on the front and rear. I have two shackles mounted on each bumper. When you tie to the bumper or frame it limits the body roll. The cross method keeps the vehicle from shifting. Getting the correct amount of tongue weight is as important as a secure tie down. Securing from the axles is OK and many do it. You will notice the jeep bouncing on its springs and seeing that in your rearview mirror gets a little unnerving. Still use four straps and cross. I never use chains on vehicles only tractors and implements.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for all the input so far. :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
i used to run my straps like nick with success but someone smarter than me pointed out that if you lose one strap, the other becomes much less effective. this method works with the driver making strap checks every stop.

eventually i went to strapping the frame at the corners which i felt was a step in the right direction. this being my own opinion...

right now i have the gear to chain the axles but this is risky if you over do it. i recall pictures of differentials spun free of the axle tubes from someone chaining over the pinion way too tightly...

ultimately i would take a wide semi trailer type strap srtaight over the tire front to back on each wheel. i have seen pictures of this done (similar to wheel nets) and it looks like the smartest way for me...

strapping to the axles or wheels brings another issue or non issue depending on your point of view, experience, fears or opinions.

some say the jeep must be strapped down by the frame to prevent bouncing and control issues created by the movement of the jeep or other vehicle riding on the trailer... others will say that the movement of the jeep counters the bouncing of the trailer suspension. i subscribe to the latter...

again, opinions may vary... experience it first hand and it will tell you what to do. they are all correct options if they are done in the safest manner hence the equal responses you will see on this subject all across the forums you might haunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts