Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough decision here...

Just bought a '98 Sahara w/ 73k miles, from a friend of a friend that encountered some, um, legal dificulties... paid around $6.5k. All stock with the exception of a 3" Zone Offroad suspension lift. Everything else, including wheels/tires are stock, just the way I wanted to find one. I'd prefer to choose my own lift kit and install it myself, but I understand Zone is a decent kit and the work looks pretty good. Plus, it's already done. Everything else (interior, hard top, paint, underbody) looks above average for the year and mileage. All in all a very nice, well-maintained Jeep. I was ready to start outfitting it the way I wanted it until....

...I saw a sweet '84 CJ5 for sale by a local guy whose business is closing. Frame off restoration, new tub (which I believe because there is NO rust), new crate 258 I-6 engine, rebuilt trans, professionally done rears and axles with stock ratios, 3" body lift, new exhaust, new interior and 33x12.50 MT tires and aluminum Dick Cepak 15x8 wheels. It looks great with the exception of a really wild paint job, which I don't like at all. All of these claims are subject to the honesty of the guy selling it and a few receipts for the work he didn't do himself (he's a mechanic). Claims he has $25k invested. He's had it for sale for a LONG time. Looking at paying around $10k with a possible trade for my Jeep and some cash(his wife wants one with AC, better ride, no crazy paint job).

Apples for apples, without seeing either Jeep, what do you guys think? I'm mostly interested in the arugument between a stock modern jeep (4.0, fuel injection, AC, etc) and an older Jeep built for rugged play. The primary driver will be my 16 yr old son and I'm sure I'll take it for a ride once in a while:)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Irongrave said:
Teen driving a jeep, not the best idea in the world but keep the TJ.
Bought my jeep at 18 and it's been more of a learning experience than anything. I'd rather my first son be hanging out with guys like us in the jeep community than the type of kids the rice burners attract...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'd stick with the TJ...safer for the kid, plus I'm not a huge fan of body lifts that big. Also, I think there's a reason it's been for sale for a LONG time...from the specs given I certainly wouldn't spend $16.5k on it. Plus you know where your TJ came from and how it was treated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Irongrave said:
Teen driving a jeep, not the best idea in the world but keep the TJ.
Nothing wrong with a wrangler as a first car... Would have loved to have a jeep as my first car. Got stuck with a ford ranger instead. If anything it keeps them from speeding and racing there friends.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Randens Rubi said:
Nothing wrong with a wrangler as a first car... Would have loved to have a jeep as my first car. Got stuck with a ford ranger instead. If anything it keeps them from speeding and racing there friends.
What's wrong with teens and jeeps? There's a whole thread of us doin juuuust fine :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
After owning both, I would stick with the TJ. One of the CJ 7s I had was my first vehicle at 15 (legal driving age in Mississippi at the time). granted, I have gotten older, but for a daily driver/offroader, the TJ is, by far, the better choice. More "creature comforts", better ride, fuel injection, etc. JMO

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
I stopped reading about the Cj when i got to 3" body lift.. For a new driver take the TJ, far safer, air bags better frame, better mpg.. and on and off road will out do the CJ as it sits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow that was a smoking deal on the sahara! I paid 7400 for mine with 80k miles from one of my best friends. That being said, stick with the tj, it's better in just about every way for a high school kid, and from the sounds of it the CJ isn't worth what the guy is asking.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Sounds like a nice CJ, but I would never pay that much for a CJ personally. Most people won't and that is why it has been for sale for a long time. Keep the TJ. :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd stick with the TJ...safer for the kid, plus I'm not a huge fan of body lifts that big. Also, I think there's a reason it's been for sale for a LONG time...from the specs given I certainly wouldn't spend $16.5k on it. Plus you know where your TJ came from and how it was treated.
Just to clarify, the CJ owner wants a shade under $10k. That's asking price. I may trade my TJ and kick in a little cash, if I decide to do it.

I agree, not worth nearly $16.5, but with new body, engine, trans, paint and rears I can believe it's got $25k in it.

I'll probably keep the TJ unless I can swap straight up or close.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Just to clarify, the CJ owner wants a shade under $10k. That's asking price. I may trade my TJ and kick in a little cash, if I decide to do it.

I agree, not worth nearly $16.5, but with new body, engine, trans, paint and rears I can believe it's got $25k in it.

I'll probably keep the TJ unless I can swap straight up or close.
$25K probably also includes his time into it and it can also mean what it has had into it over time. What I mean is, I know guys that have $100K into sandrails...but that includes the cost replacing a broken $7000 tranny muliple times. Ended up selling it for $16K, but it had costed them $100K while they owned it. :D

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Keep the tj and get a beater cj to work on with your son. That's what I'm doing with my daughter and she has already claimed the cj for when she starts driving.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I dont mind the yellow but hate the flames. I would want to get that front end repainted unless they are decals. (Doesnt look like it tho) I would ditch the chrome grill too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts