Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 4.0l, manual, 2001 and newer Tjs. Staying around 80-100k miles. For the same price I've found a couple 2007 and newer 40- 50k mile Rangers and B4000s 5spd 4x4 4.0l extended cabs. This will be my DD/ weekend fun wheeler. Towing won't exceed 1200-1300lbs when I do tow. I drive my work van majority of the time so I put maybe 7000 miles a year on my DD (so kinda a DD haha). My only real concern with a TJ is that when I do go somewhere on the weekends it tends to be 2-4 hours of driving one way. Just getting opinions on which you would consider, as I've went back and forth with this quite a bit. Thanks in advance for your response!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am willing to bet the forum will agree that this is a no-brainer... There is no vehicle that is more fun than a TJ. Except, maybe another Jeep. But, that would be up for debate. TJ is still at the top of the list!
If maintained, they are certainly reliable enough for daily driving. I daily mine about 14k per year. The TJ will hold it's value far better than the pick-ups will, for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a homeowner the only thing I really miss having switched from a pickup to my Wrangler is the cargo space. I ended up picking up a small trailer for the stuff I can't or don't want to put in the back of the Jeep. It's certainly less convenient but I love my Wrangler.

It's personal preference but I'm comfortable in my Wrangler for long drives.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
TJ unless you really really need the truck bed. But even then, you take out the back seat and bedline the tub and BAM you've got a small truck bed. Especially when the top is off.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am willing to bet the forum will agree that this is a no-brainer... There is no vehicle that is more fun than a TJ. Except, maybe another Jeep.
Let me be the devils advocate here.Expand your horizon there Tzuk, there are plenty fun and adrenaline stirring vehicles to be owned. Really depends on what you wanna do with it dont ya think?. Ever drive a 500 HP Chevelle or early Mustang, Cuda maybe, ect,etc ?That being said Think heavily about what your real needs are here. Cant say Im a fan of ford or Mazda, but a here are a few things to consider. Gonna ever tote around 4 people? Got kids or planning on any? Go climb in and out of a lifted Jeep a handful of times, go shopping and load it up with junk in back, got room?. Are you in a place with month and months of nice topless weather? Got snow? If you've never owned either, sit in each for a bit and think 4 hours in this thing, is it comfy. There can be a big gap between fun and practical sometimes. My YJ is a great, I like it better than my truck, but both have their purpose. Good part for you assuming your van is a full size ,you could flat tow a TJ to locations if you dont wanna drive it hours and hours to a location to wheel. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Let me be the devils advocate here.Expand your horizon there Tzuk, there are plenty fun and adrenaline stirring vehicles to be owned. Really depends on what you wanna do with it dont ya think?. Ever drive a 500 HP Chevelle or early Mustang, Cuda maybe, ect,etc ?That being said Think heavily about what your real needs are here. Cant say Im a fan of ford or Mazda, but a here are a few things to consider. Gonna ever tote around 4 people? Got kids or planning on any? Go climb in and out of a lifted Jeep a handful of times, go shopping and load it up with junk in back, got room?. Are you in a place with month and months of nice topless weather? Got snow? If you've never owned either, sit in each for a bit and think 4 hours in this thing, is it comfy. There can be a big gap between fun and practical sometimes. My YJ is a great, I like it better than my truck, but both have their purpose. Good part for you assuming your van is a full size ,you could flat tow a TJ to locations if you dont wanna drive it hours and hours to a location to wheel. Just my $.02
No worries! All in good fun... My horizon really is pretty broad. I was restoring antique cars when I was a teen and worked taking care of all kinds of historic and high-value vehicles for a major car museum later on. Everything from Buddy Baker's 1956 Chrysler 300-B stock car, Shebly GT-500 Convertible, Hemi 'Cuda, Ford RS200 rallye car, unrestored Duesenberg, F-50/F-40 Ferraris and everything in between. Believe me, I am an enthusiast of all modes of transportation and can appreciate the qualities of even the weirdest vehicles.

I was just taking a guess on what general reaction might be given the audience. I figured the question of "which was better" in a Jeep forum was kind of like going to a medical convention and a lawyer convention to ask: "Who is better... doctors or lawyers?" I would expect doctors would say doctors and lawyers would say lawyers. That's all.

I forgot to mention to the OP... I owned a 94 Ranger 3.0L Extended cab with 5 speed manual. It was a high-mileage beater I used while I was in between cars for a couple of years. It had its quirks and flaws, but was very reliable. The top plate on the fuel pump assembly and rotted gas filler tube leaking fuel was a little exciting sometimes, but it was reliable. The rear jump seats that Ranger had were actually less roomy than my TJ. You sat sideways in the tiny flip-down jump seats. Up front was fine, but the back was just used to hold junk I didn't want to leave in the bed.

TJ on longer trips? Front seats are fine and my daily goes to the ocean a few times a year (about 2 hours each way). It is a little tougher on an adult in the back seat for leg room, but we have done it without too many complaints. Having the doors off and top down while driving along the coast or to the beach, seem to have outweighed any temporary discomfort while on the way there.

Either vehicle you have will be fun, if you decide to have fun with what you have!

Enjoy summer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts