Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively new (to me) '04 Rubicon. Yesterday, I had to make a quick stop, I was alone, and the passenger seat flipped up and flew towards the dash.

Afterwards I checked and there is nothing latching it down. If there is a mechanism, it wasn't obvious. What should I look for?

thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the whole seat flipped up, like you were getting into the rear seat. Not just the seat back flipping forward.

is this still near the headrest lever? I can't see any latch mechanism at the bottom to secure it...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Photo is looking from front, bottom circle is of where cable hooks to tilting bracket with spring. I think there should be a spring on both sides of the round bar.
Upper circle is the lever (one on both sides of round bar) that sides seat forward and tilts to dash

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so no lever moves the cable under the seat as shown on the above picture sent.

i am looking in the service manual. it looks like there are 3 cables.
- set back recliner cable
- seat folding release cable
- seat back dump cable

I think I need the folding release cable, but I am not sure what "seat dump" is. Can anyone define?

Are these cables dealer only parts?

Ed

·
Registered
305 Posts
When you pull upper lever up it tilts the seat, then if you push the seat forward it should tumble forward. I don't recall seeing the cable move looking under the seat by just pushing the lever up.

There are 2 cables that are attached to the upper lever, I think cables and the upper lever come as one.

If your Jeep came with both front seats that Tilt and Tumble I think (not for sure) same part # will fit both sides.

I think you just need lube and maybe the springs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
here's a part#, But it's for 05, 06 if you jeep is a late 04 might might be the same. If you go to Morris 4X4 they have Jeep factory parts manuals you can down load.

Do a webb search on this part #
5093669AB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so this was not a cable problem. The round pivot bar that the cable attaches to was not rotating. I moved it a few times with vice grips and then hit it first with some wd40 and then light oil at the pivots.

The seat now locks in place. thank you for the help!

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts