Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i am a proud owner of a jeep TJ 1999 2.5L SE. Ive lifeted it 3.5" and its got some sweet 33's on it lol I keep it regularly maintained and barely every take it off-roading and when i do im very easy on it, mostly to keep it in good running condition which seems not to help anyways :/

but anyways my problem is this, this morning as i was driving my jeep to work and i hit a small bump as i was pulling in. Let me reiterate a very small bump like maybe and inch. After that my jeep completely shut down and i could not get it to start again. It would try to turn over but to my dismay not turn over. Before this morning My crankshift postion sensor error code would come on every once and a while but it would turn off, so i didnt really worry about it. he is telling me now that my pcm is shot. He says that it can't have anything to do with the crankshaft position sensor because it is still reading rpm's in the cluster. So in short he says my pcm is shot and i need another. Am I being taken to the cleaners or should i actually believe that my pcm crashed after a 1 inch bump in my amazing tj? Any help would be greatly appreciated before i have to drop a wad of cash on it..... Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I could believe your ECM went out, but not just from the bump, but age. However, from what you described how does he know it is reading RPM's if it wont start? What it sounds like to me, AND I COULD BE WRONG, is that you had either a bad cps, or loose plug on the cps and the little jar when you hit the bump finished it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was thinking as well i didnt know how he was reading rpm's, but i believe that its a problem with the cps, i think he is just looking to make a few extra bucks on me, is the cps available at a parts store or would i have to order one from a jeep dealer?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,015 Posts
Always get critical sensors from the dealer, sensors sold by stores like Autozone etc. are usually cheap, unreliable, and not worth installing. And when getting parts from the dealer, push them to discount the pricing... they'll generally never quote a discounted price first until you push for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts