Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm new here, I used to own a 77 CJ-5, but due to having a family so I had to upgrade a bit. I now own a 99 TJ, the only downside that I'm getting so far is the 2.5. I do have a Airraid, throttle body spacer, header and flowmaster so it makes up for it a little bit. I have a 4" rough country suspension lift, 15x8 soft 8 crager wheels, and 33x12.50 mud terrains. All of the suspension and tires is going to be installed while I'm off this week, I was wondering what size gears I will have to upgrade to with the 33's and how soon? Also my check engine light came on, so I to try first I unhooked the battery to reset the computer, when it came back on a week later (about 200 miles) I had the code run at Advanced it's coming back as an auxillary emission code, what is that? Thanks for any and all help, pics to follow soon.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
For your 2.5L engine and 33" tires plus the 5-speed transmission, regear to 4.88. Your present gearing is 4.10 and it's just not worth the $1200 to only regear to 4.56, there's simply not enough difference. Those with the 4.88/33" tire/2.5L engine combination really like how it performs.

And as Odhinn already asked, exactly what code is your computer throwing? Most emission codes are nothing more than a bad upstream (nearest the exhaust header) 02 sensor. Sometimes it's as simple as a leaky gas cap. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, does the 4.88's help out with the fuel consumption since you don't have to keep the pedal mashed down? I have 32x11.50's on it now, I couldn't really see much difference on the street, but on the trails I noticed it in 2wd. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, back to my original question, how soon should I be looking at changing the gears? I don't plan on doing a lot of wheeling until then, but other than fuel consumption and not winning any drag races will it hurt my jeep to run the 33's with the 4.10's?, Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts