Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I recently purchased a 2005 wrangler X with a 4.0 and six speed manual. It is my first jeep and I love it. Other than 31" tires it is stock, I don't plan on doing any mods in the near future just enjoying it as it is. I do have one issue I need help with. Near as I can tell the previous owner bought a hard top that wasn't on it originally, the jeep has factory switches for rear wiper and defrost, but they put in a separate switch for the defrost and you have to turn it on and off manually because it has no timer. They said that because the top came off an older model jeep the defrost wouldn't work with the factory switch, something to do with the relay. Does this make any sense to anyone, I would like to fix this right. Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi everybody, I recently purchased a 2005 wrangler X with a 4.0 and six speed manual. It is my first jeep and I love it. Other than 31" tires it is stock, I don't plan on doing any mods in the near future just enjoying it as it is. I do have one issue I need help with. Near as I can tell the previous owner bought a hard top that wasn't on it originally, the jeep has factory switches for rear wiper and defrost, but they put in a separate switch for the defrost and you have to turn it on and off manually because it has no timer. They said that because the top came off an older model jeep the defrost wouldn't work with the factory switch, something to do with the relay. Does this make any sense to anyone, I would like to fix this right. Thank you in advance for any advice.
This is just me, but air venting aside I would believe that the switch would be the same. If it truly did come with a correct factory hard top it should have a tailgate vent and not side vents like the 97-02 models did. I would also suggest maybe posting some pics of your switches and hard top and hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer.
:thumb:

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My jeep has the vents in the tail gate, and the hard top has them in the sides, so I must have an older top on my jeep. I will take pics and post to be sure. I believe my jeep came from the factory with just the soft top so the previous owner must have just installed the switches and not realized he needed the timer and relay so sounds like all I need to do is by a relay and timer like the one listed above. I will look at the plug on the top to see if it was replaced. I am also wondering how you turn on the rear washer, I didn't know that it had one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
No the timer is in the cluster. If the P O bought the correct harness you should be good to go. I have a 2005X that came with a soft top. I installed the harness and everything works correctly. Post pictures of the harness connector at the tailgate,picture of the fuse panel behind the glove box. You can tell the aftermarket kit by the fuse box connection.(there will be a wire in position #6 with an in line fuse for the wiper) GOOGLE MOPAR K6859185 and you'll get the after market installation directions.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The above is correct. I also installed the kit. Another sign is to check the washer bottle. There should be two pumps

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a few things tonight, first I replaced fuse 15 behind the glove box, 2nd I pulled the dash cover off below the steering wheel and took out the jerry rigged garbage the po installed. 3rd I found to inline fuses down there one for the rear wiper and one for the rear defrost, it had a blown fuse. I changed the fuse and when I hold the switch down you hear the relay under the hood pull in, but when you release the switch the relay opens. So I believe that the timer in the cluster is not wired in, so now I need to figure out how to do that. I downloaded wiring diagrams from links on this site, but I have some studying to do. Everything you guys have posted has been right and I am moving forward, thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
After you study the wiring diagrams you will see that there is no power to the wiper switch until the top is plugged in. The power for the wiper comes from the plugged in connector (the hot at the top connector goes to the park position then back to the wiper switch) so you can't pump or accidentally pump water into the tub. The defroster HBL (heated back light) has no interconnect to the plug.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I have the diagram for the kit, so maybe tonight I will pull the dash and see if we are connected to the timer in the cluster, I think this is where the problem lays. I found a couple of wires that were cut. A dark blue, light green stripe, light blue, white stripe, red,white stripe, and a solid yellow. I don't know where any of them go, hopefully I can find them in the diagrams.

·
Registered
799 Posts
There is a dark blue/light green goes to pin #1 HBL switch sensor(22) light blue/ white goes to HBL relay control pin#7 HBL relay control(22). (NUMBER) is in mopark6859185 drawing. There was a yellow that went to the hardtop to illuminate the hardtop dome light on old models without sound bar lights. Red with white I don't see for the defrost. The only red/white I see is for combo flasher input. are yellow and red/white factory or in the harness?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Are you sure the red/white is not pink/white? That & the yellow would be for the dome lights or the compass/temp mirror. Depending where you found the wires. Mirror connector in the kick panel (C-203) or dome light near the roll bar (C-324, C-325).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy cow what a mess, yes the yellow and red white are on the harness, and looks like the yellow is for the light. Here is what is happening now, for some reason there was an old harness in the dash for the switches that stopped behind the speaker by the driver door, it was only connected to the defrost switch. The new harness was only connected to the wiper switch. So I pulled out the old harness. PO only used the black/white wire and it was connected to the heavy black/white from the harness with a inline fuse. So now I connected the gray plug on the new harness to the switch, the way it should be.
So near as I can figure I have 4 wires left. DB/LG connect to the control pin 1
LB/WH connect to control pin 7
I have another LB/WH coming out of the harness a little closer to the firewall by itself I think it should go to no. 2 pin on the HBL control relay, but when I do that the relay pulls in and the defrost stays on even after I cycle the key. Or is that normal, their is no power when the key is off so when I turn it back on the defrost should be off, right?
Now I still have the heavy BLK/WH that plugs into the HBL B+ but that has the inlin fuse on it and no place to plug it into. (that is where the PO had the one wire from the old harness hooked to running back to the switch.) whew So in conclusion I can here the timer ticking when I connect the LB/WH, so I know that works, I here the relay pull in at the same time so I know that works. The only thing messed up is the switch does nothing, except in on configuration it will pull in the relay as long as I hold it down, put I can't get the timer to work when it is wired like that. Help, I not seeing what is wrong here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
You are apparently back feeding the relay. That is why the switch is not turning off the defrost.

The bl/wt (HLB B+) goes to D-5 in the BK connector on frame 25.

The db/lg & lb/wt that are the same length go to the back of the cluster (pins 1 & 7 in frame 22)

The other lb/wt goes to pin 2 of the WT connector in frame 24.

Dose that make sense & help?

As for the extra 2 wires for the dome light, just disregard them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It does make sense, and that is the way I think it is hooked up, I must be in the wrong spot on the frame connector. Where does the other end of the BLK/WH that is on HBL B+ go mine has an inline fuse and I have no place to land the wire coming out of the fuse?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Neil
I check out the link you posted, It is making me think that I have a 10 wire harness, and I am trying to wire it into a 2005. there is a yellow wire and a red/white that are not being used, according to your link that means the harness is 2000 or older. So now what can I do/
Sorry I can't help. I added the kit to my 03 but don't know the wire colors without going back to the instructions. You 05 should have the same install. I'm a little confised why you would have wires for the light (under the dash?). 05 jeep did not have a hardtop with the light. Are you saying the previous owner put in a kit for a older jeep? Regardless, start from the instructions for the 03 plus and go from there.

·
Registered
799 Posts
A picture would help. There should not be a fuse inline with the Black/white. The only fuse you should NEED to add is the HBL fuse is shown in frame 14.40 AMP IN POSITION #4 All the others are existing for the control side of the relay. You are correct the PO put the wrong harness in. In the coconnector (24&25) As RUBI says the heavy black/white should connect to D5 which should be black,white also.The light blue/white should connect to a dark blue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts