Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 06 Rubi Auto with 105k. Very strange thing is happening and I'm not sure if i just need to find another cluster given what is going on.

At "off" position of the key, speedo is sitting at 40-ish MPH, both right side gauges (temp, psi) are pegged or at least 75%. No lights, no codes. Speedo starts at 40 and tracks fine all the way up to interstate speeds, just showing much larger of a # than it should.

Pulled the cluster, cleaned the plug, check the pins, check the PCM ground at the block, cleaned the battery ground, looked closely at the board on the cluster....everything is good. I can tap the top of the cluster lightly and get the gauges to fall to "normal" left side positions while out of the Jeep. When I plug the white/right side connector in, they automatically go back to pegged position.

I'm thinking cluster, but want to see if anyone has had this issue, or anything like it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, not a new member and not sure why it's showing 1 Post here. Been around a while. interesting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention, I did perform the trip reset test. All checked out okay, but those three gauges mentioned above returned to the positions mentioned.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I'd check the power and the ground coming into the instrument cluster. Pull the plug on the cluster and check for power and ground. Don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but find the pins and use a test light to ensure they carry the power to and back to ground.

After that the cluster for those gauges are controlled by the cluster. It knows what to do from messages from the PCM via the CCD bus. As long as the CCD bus is working at the PCM is sending the right messages it leaves something internal to the cluster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd check the power and the ground coming into the instrument cluster. Pull the plug on the cluster and check for power and ground. Don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but find the pins and use a test light to ensure they carry the power to and back to ground.

After that the cluster for those gauges are controlled by the cluster. It knows what to do from messages from the PCM via the CCD bus. As long as the CCD bus is working at the PCM is sending the right messages it leaves something internal to the cluster.
Thanks Sequel. I had access to another 06 on the quick, pulled it's cluster and plugged it in, sure enough it worked great in my Rubi. Plugged OEM back in, did same. So, it's a bad cluster or with issue.

I have PM'd Admin to delete post so as to not waste anyone's time. Thanks

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
Just FYI the 2001-2006 do not have a ccd bus (twisted pair) the 2001-2006 TJ have a PCI bus with a single wire

The 97-2000 TJ do have a CCD bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Just FYI the 2001-2006 do not have a ccd bus (twisted pair) the 2001-2006 TJ have a PCI bus with a single wire

The 97-2000 TJ do have a CCD bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Had to go look at a wiring diagram and you are right. Good call out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts