Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 04 TJ Rubicon w/17k miles, Auto, N(th) Degree 6” lift, 35 x 13.5 x 15. My question is the ride is STIFF. Tire pressure is 26 PSI, shocks are Rubicon. I’ve owned a 94 YJ w/4.5” lift and ran Rancho adjustable shocks. I’m going to upgrade, looking for opinions.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Rancho RS9000x is a quality shock. Tough part for you will be finding correct Rancho shocks for your application given the 6” lift.

I completed a shock stem conversion on my rig with a 6” lift so I had access to a larger variety of shocks. This allowed me to find Rancho shocks that worked with my application. JKS sells the required conversion parts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Found a 04 TJ Rubicon w/17k miles, Auto, N(th) Degree 6” lift, 35 x 13.5 x 15. My question is the ride is STIFF. Tire pressure is 26 PSI, shocks are Rubicon. I’ve owned a 94 YJ w/4.5” lift and ran Rancho adjustable shocks. I’m going to upgrade, looking for opinions.
An '04 w/17K miles?! Do tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rancho RS9000x is a quality shock. Tough part for you will be finding correct Rancho shocks for your application given the 6” lift.

I completed a shock stem conversion on my rig with a 6” lift so I had access to a larger variety of shocks. This allowed me to find Rancho shocks that worked with my application. JKS sells the required conversion parts.
Thanks for your reply, do you have a part number for the conversion and Rancho?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An '04 w/17K miles?! Do tell.
I was looking for an LJ when I found it. The undercarriage was clean enough to eat off of. Bought it on the spot!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Drop it down to 4" coils, if you have a BL. That's overkill.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It’s a short wheel base so it’s going to ride a little rough. Your also almost sitting on the back axle. You’ll get used to it after awhile and prefer the ride. I’ll take my Jeep any day over most vehicles.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Ride quality is a function of tire pressure, tire load rating, and model of shock installed. Load range tires higher than a C rating will ride more stiffly. Too much air pressure in the tire will cause it to ride too stiffly. More than 24-26 in a 35" Load Range C tire will cause it to ride more stiffly. The wrong shocks will cause it to ride stiffly, especially if they are RE's twin-tube shocks.

I'd check the tire load rating to see if it's C, D, or E, check the tire air pressure to see if it's overinflated (most likely) and replace those RE shocks with something that rides significantly better like Rancho's newer gas-charged RS5000x (don't confuse that with their older STIFF-riding hydraulic RS5000).

I'm running 35's on my Rubicon and it rides very nicely. Load Range C tires, Currie 4" springs, Rancho RS5000x then RS9000xl shocks and it rides great. I think it rode better with my previous RS5000x than my current RS9000xl shocks do. I've had a half-dozen plus various shocks on my Wranglers and the two that rode the best were the OME Nitrocharger (discontinued) and the Rancho RS5000x.

Shocks and air pressure are the two biggest contributors to a good or bad ride.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Mr Bransford. I didn't want to bother you on that other forum. Do you think you prefer the 5000x Rancho shocks over the 9000XL's because of the obvious "hardcore" wheelin you do? I need some new shocks on my lifted XJ and I'm thinking about those Rancho 5000X shocks. 90% street and MILD trail use. I know you didn't like the old Zone hydro "too soft" shocks. Thank you sir.
Mr. Bransford? Boogie is that you lol? My present RS9000xl shocks are fine offroad but I just think the RS5000x shocks worked and rode better for me both on and offroad. They had a great street ride, great offroad ride, and handled very rough dirt desert roads at pretty much any speed I felt safe driving at.

The only reason I replaced the RS5000x shocks with the adjustable RS9000xl shocks is that I tow a tent trailer and I reasoned I could stiffen the shocks up a bit while towing. That turned out to be no big deal for me since I had no problems towing the same trailer with the RS5000x. I really noticed no significant benefit to the RS9000xl when set at a slightly stiffer setting while towing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts