Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in serious trouble, i want to change my 98 tj 4cil because its old and i want to do more but i figured out that a newer jeep its better, so im looking for something to comute every day and also wheel on weekends, i dont care about mpg, i just care about on road handling and comfort and the best of all off road capability.
so im in this dilemma
2006 tj rubicon, stock. 50kmiles. (14k)
or
2010 jk sport stock. 60kmiles.(15k)

what do you think tj? or jk?
in the future i want 35`s because its gonna be my commuter but also i dont have to much money right now so this 2 jeeps are my only choice.
what do you think.

tj or jk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have both. I like my 04 Rubi much more than the wife's 2010 Sport. The JK is nicer on the highway- quieter, smoother, better ride- but that's the only place I find it better. When I have a choice, I almost always choose to drive the TJ before the JK

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
A family member has the new Pentastar engine in his 12', and I have an 04' Rubicon... The only way I would even consider a new JK is 12' and newer and that's not happening unless my rubi experiences a catastrophic mishap. ( fire, theft, totaled ) .. I'll take my 04' any day over pre-Pentastar JKs.. Get the 06' TJ. you'll not regret the choice..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would take my 06 LJ Rubi over a JK any day. The wife wants a JK as our next jeep and we will prob end up getting one. Sit down and come up with the pros and cons. Don't want to trade in your TJ and end up missing it. If you think you will like the JK then go for it. Best of luck.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
TJ, especially if you like working on your Jeep. I was at the Jeep dealer picking up a part Saturday and a 2012 Rubicon in the lobby caught my eye. Out of curiosity, I checked it out pretty thoroughly. Wow, its leather interior almost made me drunk with its wonderful aroma. Oooohhh I liked that leather. :p A VERY nice Jeep but there's no way I could work on it. The engine compartment is more like a car's and you can't get to anything. The body is more like a car too, its double-layer construction makes it very hard to bolt armor on like rocker guards. For a driver, the JK is really nice but I wouldn't replace my TJ with one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The TJ rubi is gonna be better offroad because of the lockers and dana 44s, it will also be easier to work on. Not sure about the new JKs , but i love my 04 rubicon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go with the TJ. I had an 07 4 door Sahara and it was horrible on the road. It had no power what so ever. Thing couldn't get out of its own way on the highway. Handling was poor too. In sure the two door is different because of weight and all that, but I have an 04 rubicon now and I love it. Feels like I'm in a little race car compared to the last one. Off road is amazing. I can't believe what this thing does stock.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have an '04 TJ Sport 4.0 I6, Dana 44, 3.73s, OME suspension lift, MML, BL, 33" Duratracs,(on Cragar soft 8s) Rock Rails, Corbeau Heated seats, KC lights, after market bumpers, Sony head unit with Amp, 17 speakers. I run a half top in the winter, and a duster jammer bikini when it rains in the summer. It is my DD. 160K trouble free miles. No Iam not done yet!!

Our "good transportation" is a '12 JK sport. smooth quiet ride. Great mpg. (for a Jeep). Plenty of creature comforts, and WAY MORE on the street performance.

If I had to choose only one the '04 Sport...easy to work on and parts are cheaper as they are not making any more TJs and the aftermarket has to stay competitive, fewer people to sell parts to as fewer and fewer Tj's are on the road..or they all ready have the parts. Most TJ's are like Leggos toys pull this part switch for that one.

Jks have not got to that point YET!!!!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
TJ!!! Locked 44's, need I say anymore...

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
TJ... for all the reasons posted above and the fact that I can't really stand the JKs.

I test drove one last month before buying my 04 Sport. I was in the market for another Jeep and I loved my old TJ but wanted to see how a newer Jeep stacked up. I was unimpressed... It just didn't "feel" like a Jeep. Sounds hoakey but that's my take on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 06 rubi lj and the wife has an 11 jk. I have also owned an 04 tj and an 05 tj rubi.

I prefer the jk for street and comfort. That being said the tj/lj is easier to work on and feels more like a jeep to me.

The rubi would give you a better offroad capable vehicle with little to no mods due to the lockers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've only driven a few Jeeps. There's no chance I'd give up my 05 Sport for any 07-11 JK. The 12+ may be a different story. The 3.8 V6 in the 07 I drove was absolutely terrible. If you've ever driven a 4-cyl Honda or Acura, where it needs to be screaming to develop any power, it's like that. Ride and comfort were good, but handling worse than mine - just had a very 'disconnected' feel. I've heard nothing but good about the new Pentastar V6 though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I really want a new Jeep too.....but I'm keeping my old ones because I love them.

It's tough because I would love to get a new 2013 JK 2-door but something has not pushed me over the line to buy one yet. The only JK's I would consider are the 2012-2013 but I can't seem to pull the trigger.

I'm actually looking at getting another 2004-2006 TJ Rubicon with really low miles as my "new" vehicle. I'm also looking at the Regular Cab Ram 1500 Hemi Express. They have them for 22k right now.

I've narrowed it down to 3...
1. 2013 JK 2-door - 24k
2. 2012 Ram 1500 express - 22k
3. 2003-2006 TJ Rubicon with really, really low miles. - 18k

I think the Ram is winning.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts