Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was under my jeep today I noticed that one of my Skid plate bolts is missing. And the hole was full of mud and debris. I cant find a definitive answer on the web or anywhere as to what bolt I need, Size and thread pitch. If anyone knows for sure that would be awesome! Ive heard it metric M14x1.25 and Also heard its 9/16 coarse thread.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
1/2x13 for 97-02. 1/2x12 I believe for the 03-06

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
1/2x13 whats the length of the bolt. And will they all be the same length if I wanted to go grade 8?
Same length no matter what the bolt grade (strength) is. I don't recall the threaded length but maybe 1.25" or 1.5"... since I haven't seen that bolt since my previous TJ was stolen 8-9 years ago. I suggest you just unscrew one of yours and measure it. The bolt head is conical where it fits against the transfer case skid plate so you won't find them at Home Depot. Fastenal would be a good source.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same length no matter what the bolt grade (strength) is. I don't recall the threaded length but maybe 1.25" or 1.5"... since I haven't seen that bolt since my previous TJ was stolen 8-9 years ago. I suggest you just unscrew one of yours and measure it. The bolt head is tapered where it fits against the transfer case skid plate so you won't find them at Home Depot. Fastenal would be a good source.
I just so happen to have a fastenal store like 5 minutes from me. So thats good. Thank You for the information. Ill have to hope my wifes libertys tranny is sorted tomorrow so I can safely drop another bolt from the skid plate.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Could take out the middle one on the other side to see what they look like, but think there's adequate info on here already to show you.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Soak all of these remaining bolts and holes with PB Blaster. And reinstall with anti sieze.

Reactions: HookedonJeeps

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Probably a good time to drop the skid an inch or two, wire wheel out all the rust that grows in there, and slap on a fresh coat of paint. If you do it carefully, only one side down 1" - 2" at a time (with opposite bolts loosened to relieve strain), you can do it without disconnecting the shifter (on a stick at least) or t-case linkages.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its the skid plate also the transmission mount? Im not gonna take my vehicle completely out of commission for some cleaning. Cant do it. Its a DD

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Yes the skid plate supports and holds the transmission mount. If you are going to drop the skid plate, be sure to first remove the four nuts located in the center of the skid plate which hold the bottom of the transmission mount. Use a 1/2" socket wrench.to remove the four nuts.

The six bolts that hold the skid plate commonly seize in the threaded inserts they screw into. Spray the heck out them with Kroil, Break-Free, or Liquid Wrench. I'd spray them several times over a couple days. Not doing that might trigger a real nightmare from the threaded inserts breaking free due to the bolts having seized in them. Don't waste your time spraying them with WD40 or PB-Blaster, neither is a good penetrant in difficult situations like is so common with those particular bolts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not gonna take my vehicle completely out of commission for some cleaning. Can't do it. Its a DD
I agree that this is a good opportunity to drop and treat the skid before winter.
I'd use the penetrant can's straw to spray the bolt threads through frame holes. Visualize where the nutserts would be located, and aim. Let soak and then turn CCW and CW to confirm they will all remove.
On a stay-home day, with anticipated supplies on hand, use your stock or hydraulic jack and a board to support the tranny, remove hardware, drop skid, wirebrush problem areas of skid and frame, paint both, and bolt back up. Expect some rust slugs between bolts, resembling thin briquets.
A full skid removal would allow room to go to town, thoroughly scraping and painting (or rust inhibitor.) Lie on your back and lower it like a reverse chest press. It's lighter than it looks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Its the skid plate also the transmission mount? Im not gonna take my vehicle completely out of commission for some cleaning. Cant do it. Its a DD
You can do it in a night or a weekend morning (*that is, after soaking the bolts and well nuts for a few days in PB Blaster or whatever penetrant is de rigueur). It is good long term preventative work. Do some reading first on what tools, tips & tricks, procedures you should follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My frame is from a 2000 tj sport and the bolts used are 12mm x 1.75. It looks like not everyones tj uses the same size bolts therefore it is necessary to remove a bolt from your particular frame and size it up before buying replacement parts. I took mine to lowes and tried out different nuts till i found a match because forum searching turned up many different answers. The nutserts/rivnut inserts and installation tool are rather expensive so if you have a welder i recomend drilling out the holes and welding regular nuts in place instead. I did mine with a basic 110v flux core welder from harbor freight and it turned out great. Hope this info is helpful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts