Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1999 Jeep TJ.It is in need of a replacement softtop.It has the metal framed glass slider windows in the doors.My question is if i purchase a replacement soft top can i reuse existing sliders or are they removable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quess what i should have said was when replacing door skins can i reuse the existing metal framed slider windows.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i almost bought a jeep with sliders. the window lock was broke and it had a hardtop. everywhere i went said i needed the hard upper doors. and for the whole piece it was 1000 bucks for a pair. In my opinion, you should invest in a pair of full doors. There not flimsy and looks way better

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I quess what i should have said was when replacing door skins can i reuse the existing metal framed slider windows.
You can keep the uppers, but you can't re use the sliders in new skins. They are a complete replacement piece. You may be able to reuse the frame, not sure on that. But the window is sealed into the skin...

Replacement tops don't all come with replacement uppers, so order what you need and want... I'm still not entirely sure what you are asking....

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to replace-I have sliders in my '04 for winter and could replace just the lock or one of the 4 panes of glass-but if you are trying to get replacement soft windows-not that much more for complete frame and skins. Mine are made by Bestop-maybe it is the manufacture?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the slider windows and one of the window locks are missing does anyone no where I could get one or how much they are. Talking about the the black piece on the window that clips to the frame to lock the window closed

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
It's my understanding that the locks on Bestop windows are NOT a replaceable item.. Of course yours may not be Bestop, and my understanding is often flawed.... :redface:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the slider windows and one of the window locks are missing does anyone no where I could get one or how much they are. Talking about the the black piece on the window that clips to the frame to lock the window closed
have the same problem but i do have some pieces of it from PO. Mine is the spring loaded latching part that's missing, still have the rest of the hardware on the frame/window. i've looked and can't find em, figured i'd just fab some sort of wire hoop from 1 piece to the other. Be nice if i could find it, but 1-you can't really see it unless you're looking, 2-when the soft top is on, you ain't locking the cab up against a determined person, 3-fixed the broken lock on consel so have that and glove box to lock stuff in like sat radio and fm faceplate
Hopefully someone knows where to find these things, but if not, not that much of a biggie(for me)

·
Registered
33 Posts
ya just be nice to have that part on there to match. ya door half starting to leak a little when rain so might just go out and get new ones just dont want to spend the money

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have soft top and sliders on my 02. I replaced the soft top 2 years ago. The "kit" had window skins included. I replaced the sliders last yea for a new set. I stripped the old sliders down to frame and was able to use the window skin that came with the soft top. Took some elbow grease to get it on but now I have a set of zippers and a set of sliders. I havent used the zippers tho,,,no need except for emergency window. Might put them on craigslist.

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
I think the OP is asking whether you can buy a new set of "skins" to go around the sliding windows of his half doors to match his new top. I was wondering the same thing today actually and I e-mailed Bestop and they basically said "uhhh...call customer service" I don't want to buy a brand new soft-top and then have faded upper half doors...but I don't want the plastic zipper windows..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did anyone ever find any resolution to this issue? I have the same issue with a new to me YJ. I bought it in need of a new soft top. The top that was on it was black and the new top I bought was spice, it matched the interior. The old upper half doors have the glass sliders in them. I want to reuse them in some new spice upper half doors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts