Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of TJ sound pods that I upgraded with 6.5" alpines. My 92 YJ came with a sound bar but I'm Ive been trying to figure out how to wire them up to 1) use the courtesy dome lights and 2) use the same factory harness clips so that I can take them off if I need/want to without cutting wires.

Is there anywhere to find this section of an after market TJ wiring harness? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find this.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't believe that TJ sound pods are a stock item. Do you have an model number? The reason I ask is because it seems you are asking about lighting for sound pods. Sound pods are normally just speakers. Do the sound pods have lights in them? Where do you plan to install these sound pods? I've seen them install many different places. I've seen some install at the visors next to the rear view mirror. I've seen some install behind the front seats. I've seen some install in the front rocker panels. So, a model number would be helpful.

For example, these are sound/speaker pods, but I don't see how one would use lights with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291383908491?lpid=82&chn=ps

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I don't believe that TJ sound pods are a stock item. Do you have an model number? The reason I ask is because it seems you are asking about lighting for sound pods. Sound pods are normally just speakers. Do the sound pods have lights in them? Where do you plan to install these sound pods? I've seen them install many different places. I've seen some install at the visors next to the rear view mirror. I've seen some install behind the front seats. I've seen some install in the front rocker panels. So, a model number would be helpful. For example, these are sound/speaker pods, but I don't see how one would use lights with them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291383908491?lpid=82&chn=ps
03-06 TJ's eliminated the sound bar and went with a large pod on each side of the roll bar. They contain one dome light and a 5-1/4 speaker each. I believe that is what the op is referring to. The harness can be easily made if you have the wires inside the pods.. Simply extend the wires for the dome lights from your door switches up to the wires for the lights. And the same with the speakers. Just extend them from the back of the head unit up to the speakers. And as far as quick disconnecting for removal.. You could use trailer hitch wiring extenders. They are 4 wires and each end has it's corresponding make and female connector.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
03-06 TJ's eliminated the sound bar and went with a large pod on each side of the roll bar. They contain one dome light and a 5-1/4 speaker each. I believe that is what the op is referring to. The harness can be easily made if you have the wires inside the pods.. Simply extend the wires for the dome lights from your door switches up to the wires for the lights. And the same with the speakers. Just extend them from the back of the head unit up to the speakers. And as far as quick disconnecting for removal.. You could use trailer hitch wiring extenders. They are 4 wires and each end has it's corresponding make and female connector.
This is exactly what I have. Ok, so I will give it hat a shot! Thanks for the trailer hitch connector idea. That was the part I couldn't figure out

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Okay, it wasn't clear. I assumed they were aftermarket pods, and no year was mentioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts