Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rubber isolator/bumpstop for when I mount a 33" tire on my standard tire carrier with an adapter for the bigger tires. I seen some in quadratec for the JK's I am needing some for the TJ. Anyone seen such a thing avaliable? Bunk

·
Registered
421 Posts
What adapter will you be using? I installed a Rampage model and my tire is 3 1/2" away from the pads. I don't plan on using them due to them looking funny when that long.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You don't need an adaptor. All it will do is push the whell further out creating more stress. Depending on the exact back spacing of the aftermarket rim, it will be about 1" further out on the stock carrier without the adaptor. Hockey pucks behind the isolators and longer bolts work perfect.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spare tire bumpers

What adapter will you be using? I installed a Rampage model and my tire is 3 1/2" away from the pads. I don't plan on using them due to them looking funny when that long.
I have not seen these Rampage models. I have the same issue you do though my tire is 5" from tailgate surface or 3.5" from factory bumper. I was going to modify my tire carrier and try to carry tire in closer but I have to raise the tire up 1.75" to clear bumper and the angle on the bottom of the tire carrier mount will not allow this. I really dont want the tire sticking out any more than what it is already. The adapter that I have pushed the tire out 2.75", and up 1.75". I may just have to fab up my own tire mount from scratch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need an adaptor. All it will do is push the whell further out creating more stress. Depending on the exact back spacing of the aftermarket rim, it will be about 1" further out on the stock carrier without the adaptor. Hockey pucks behind the isolators and longer bolts work perfect.
I like the way you think Niel but I have a 32" diameter tire and it hits the bumper on the stock carrier.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I spent a total of $1.02 this weekend to address this issue. A piece of 3/4" pvc couple with a 1" cap fit perfectly for my 33" on a 3.75" backspaced rim. No drilling, no cutting, nothing. I simply "slid", okay forced the coupler into the existing stops (since they are "hollow" pushed the cap on and reinstalled the wheel. The pressure from the wheel keeps it all snugged up, problem solved. You can barely see the extensions but if the white pvc really bugs you, put some electrical tape around it it hit with some play sprat paint first.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I used larger diameter PVC to just slide over the original mounts. Overall length is just over 3.75" to ensure a tight fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Not bad painted black you wouldn't notice them. I've probably got enough scraps laying around to make them. Thanks for the pics :thumb:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not bad painted black you wouldn't notice them. I've probably got enough scraps laying around to make them. Thanks for the pics :thumb:
painted black , there's no way you'd see them since I had to get the camera inside just to get the pics. Honestly, even a wrap or two with electrical tape and you're off to worry about bigger things. Glad it helps.

One thing I liked with this route is that the caps are rounded so you can move them just enough to get the right fit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did a different approach using 1.5 inch pvc. My tire stops are not hollow so i cut short sections of pvc pipe and put these under the rubber stops, between the taildoor and the stop. I also got out a 1/4-20 tap and changed the M6 holes into 1/4-20, and cut 3" bolts down to the right length with a hacksaw. Not much selection for M6 at home depot, better selection of 1/4-20.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I did a different approach using 1.5 inch pvc. My tire stops are not hollow so i cut short sections of pvc pipe and put these under the rubber stops, between the taildoor and the stop. I also got out a 1/4-20 tap and changed the M6 holes into 1/4-20, and cut 3" bolts down to the right length with a hacksaw. Not much selection for M6 at home depot, better selection of 1/4-20.
For what it's worth, Pep Boys had longer allen head M6 bolts.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I did the same thing as "green bay tj"

I extended my spare tire bump stops, cost less than $8 :2thumbsup:

I used 1 1/2'' pvc pipe $2.68

bought M6 x100x50 and M6x100x65 bolts (about $2.50 a pack the shorter bolts were 4pk and the longer were 2pk

and cut a slot in them so I could use a flathead screw driver on them

painted the pipe black

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee450/wwch99tj/photobucket-
24742-1336340894868.jpg

and the finished product

·
Registered
434 Posts
For what it's worth, Pep Boys had longer allen head M6 bolts.
Good to know. I didn't want to drive all over the place looking for metric bolts and did not want to pay shipping from mcmaster-carr. Plus i just bought a new set of taps this weekend and knew m6 is slightler smaller than 1/4-20 so thought it would work.

·
Registered
434 Posts
"I did the same thing as "green bay tj""

I saw this on a forum somewhere else. Perhaps you posted before somewhere? Your pics look familiar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts