Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ has started making a loud squeaking noise while I'm driving. It seems to correspond with whatever speed the Jeep is going and doesn't change with gear shifting. By the time I'm going about 30mph it's just a constant squeal. When I'm going low speeds it's much more relaxed. I have uploaded a video so you all can hear what I'm talking about. Any suggestions on what this might be?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jack the front end up off the ground and spins the wheels. This will help isolate the source. Could be mud/rock in the splash guards (judging by the mud on the instrument cluster), brakes, axle u-joints, driveshaft.

The last few seconds of the clip suggest that the bearings in the CV centering yoke are dust.

I would not drive any further with that noise. If it is the front driveshaft, the vibrations can split the transfer case. If the CV yoke fails and separates from the transfer case, the front differential will continue to spin the driveshaft until the Jeep comes to a stop. This will cause all sorts of damage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I jacked it up and spun the wheels. The squeaking is definitely coming from where the front driveshaft meets the transfer case. I also noticed a much less intense squeak coming from the front left wheel when it was spinning. Guess I'm going to pull the driveshaft and see what needs fixing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hopefully I'm not too late.
The centering yoke is probably worn out. DO NOT buy the greaseable replacement part. Buy the sealed one. It is very hard to get in there to grease it, so you will quit doing it due to the hassle, and the joint will fail again. The complete "rebuild" kits I've seen only come with the greaseable joint so you will need to buy them separate. 3 u-joints and a centering yoke. There is a dust shield in there that is not really necessary, but you could order a new one too. No one local ever stocks the centering yoke or shield, so you will need to order it online or local to pick up later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up buying the non greasable joint and rebuilding with that. The job went pretty smooth, besides getting the damn snap rings back in afterwards. It got dark and cold so I called it a night, but all I have left to do is put the driveshaft back under the Jeep and wait until something else breaks. 🎉

1 - 5 of 5 Posts