Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm looking at getting a wrangler tj. I want a I6 5 speed. But one thing I can't decide on is to get it already lifted with small mods for around $8000 or without any for around $6000 both with hardtop. Any ideas or suggestions. And btw if I get a stock one my parents will probably pay about $1500-$2000 to do stuff to it and the rest is on me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Get the $8000 one. If you get the stock one you'll spend $1100 to $1500 on a lift alone. Unless the already lifted one is only a body lift, make sure it's a suspension lift. If it is a suspension lift you'll get more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I say go with stock, less likely its been abused offroad already. Also, taking it to the trails stock is a good way to learn what type of riding you like. Then you can decide what you want to do after that. Its fun to build the jeep to exactly the way you want it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My vote is for stock unless you are very well educated already with lifts, the issues that can cause and how to identify if they are done correctly.

I bought one with a lift already on it and I am learning the hard way that it wasn't really done correctly or at least completely. If I had to do it all over again, well I probably would have done it the same way but, it doesn't hurt to go stock and learn a lot before spending your hard earned money on mods. The more you know the smarter choices you will make and the better it will turn out in the long run.

There is more to a lift than just springs and shocks. Again, if you are very well educated and can identify a jeep that is already lifted is done correctly and can trust who did the work then go for a modded jeep to save you some time. If not, go stock and spend many o' days researching and lift it yourself.

I should add, I went with an already lifted jeep because it was in very good condition and only 4K so I have some money left over to make it right.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As doolyd said. There is more to a lift than shocks and springs. There is also other things to consider. Does the Jeep have an SYE kit or does it need one? does it have adjustable front and rear track bars or do they need them? Does it have adjustable control arms? Does it need them?
So there is a lot to consider on buying a lifted jeep and knowing what may still need to be done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Go stock and build from there. It may sound like a better deal, but if it wasn't done right you may spend even more fixing the previous owner's mistakes. I might look at one with a 1" body lift or a 2" BB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts