Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people will think this is ridiculous, but if you have ever tried to add speakers to your TJ and you want high quality sound with a true soundstage, the dash locations are pointed down for a terrible soundstage and don't offer many options. Soundbars above your head and speakers in the rear were not a choice for me. I wouldn't go to a concert and turn my back on the band, so I don't want my sound coming from the rear in my Jeep, either. So I was sitting in my Jeep trying to figure out somewhere else to locate speakers for front soundstage. I hate the pods that you can buy, they look like something out of a spaceship or something. So I had this idea to make an enclosure using my sun visors for the Infinity 4x6 plates that I already had. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with component 4" midranges and separate tweeters, but these sound pretty good. I am planning on spraying with bedliner or plastidip to waterproof the wood. Sun visor is still functional and, if I turn the visor down the sound reflects off the windshield. Turning the visor down also shields the speakers themselves in case I am in danger of rain and I have the top down. Still a work in progress, but I wanted to see what other fellow Jeepers/audio enthusiasts thought about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Pretty creative!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are actually not as heavy as they look, but I was worried about that too. I was prepared to create some kind of support to keep them from flipping down when I hit a bump. It turns out that the screws that I put in to secure it to the visor snug right up to the rod that it pivots on. Tight enough to keep it in place! I just have to secure the side that clips in so it doesn't pop out. A big bump without support on that end would bend the rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts