Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible (worth it) to switch a transfer case from a 99 jeep TJ to the right input for a 92 YJ? I blew a transfer case and found one that would work with low miles, but it might be the wrong spline count, I'm not sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, it needs to be a np 231 t-case, with 27 spline i do believe...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they came with either 21 or 23 spline inputs, but I am also worried about sensor connection problems coming up. I'm not sure which one came with 21 or 23 splines.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
In all YJ's. The 4 cylinder with the AX5 had 21 spline. 6 cylinders have 23 spline.

The only differences are the in the tail housing there is a difference in the way the tailshaft is lubricated. Also the YJ's have vacuum lines from the TCase for the 4wd indicator light. Both of these items are able to be switched over from TJ to YJ 231. I've done this for YJ case to a TJ case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 4.2 I6's with ba 10/5 trannys have 21 spline count output shafts, the 4.0's 89-99 have the ax15's and is a 23 spline count long shaft. Hope this helps ya.

Mike

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike. I had not been aware that the BA was also 21 spline.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad to help

Mike

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
OK...so does the auto tranny also have a 21 spline. I am looking at an XJ for a t-case donor now and would like to get the right case. Not sure yet what engine is in the XJ.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
auto tranny should be 23 spline. Most XJ 231s will be 23 spline. That is, if you can find one. Not all XJs have the 231 case. Double check the tag on the case to verify which case it has. You will want to stick with the 231

1 - 9 of 9 Posts