Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed my factory spare tire carrier and now the bolt holes are left open on my 06 TJ. Anyone know of what I could use to plug them? I don't have the bolts anymore as I sold them with the carrier.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Not sure what thread they are but you could get some stainless button head screws to put back. They would look nice and you wouldn't have to worry about them rusting. I buy most of my specialty fasteners from Fastenal.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
The push pins mentioned above work well. If you shop at AutoZone this is the package. It has 15 and you will need 7 of them if you do all three holes from the rubber bumpers, too. [I took this photo for something else, so I am holding two items. (Sorry.) The package on the right is what you want.]

The four for the tire carrier are a bit large, so the RTV gel idea is a solid one. The three holes for the bumpers are for smaller screws and the plugs fit very tightly, so I did not use anything to seal them.

It does not look great, but it does look "finished" and not jerry rigged. I do not thing there is anything that will look good, honestly, but this is a simple, cheap and easy method.

Good luck...

Wade

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Wade! I'll stop by Auto Zone this afternoon.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I bought these rubber plugs at Home Depot. They pop right in and seal the holes to keep it waterproof. They are black rubber and look real good too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I bought these rubber plugs at Home Depot. They pop right in and seal the holes to keep it waterproof. They are black rubber and look real good too.
Nice clean look to them. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But do you remember what brand these plugs are? I love that clean flat look.

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,592 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But do you remember what brand these plugs are? I love that clean flat look.
I agree. I might swap my old worn out bolts for these too, looks really clean

·
Retired Moderator
100,448 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts