Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a TJ 5 speed 6 cylinder. I had a YJ a long time ago but I sold it due to rust. I have got an issue probably a common Jeep problem so here it is.

So I cannot remember the "normal" for a jeep transmission. While running in neutral I get some clutch or transmission chatter. When I press in the clutch the chatter goes away. Release, chatter comes back. To my knowledge if it was the clutch release bearing wouldn't the noise be apparent while the clutch is pressed. Is this a throw out bearing or is a "normal" noise for a the NV3550?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The NV3550 is noisy. From what I understand, the noise is normal. Mine sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it while in neutral with the clutch out. Haven't had any problems.

If you search the forums you'll find a lot of people have this "issue."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool I was hoping it was normal I just bought the damn thing. I guess I didn't notice it until I took the top off.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Although the nv3550 is noisy, I would possibly suspect a throwout bearing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Although the nv3550 is noisy, I would possibly suspect a throwout bearing.
Throwout bearings don't spin/make noise when the clutch pedal is up. They only start spinning when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal and they go to work to lift and hold the clutch disk away from the flywheel..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Throwout bearings don't spin/make noise when the clutch pedal is up. They only start spinning when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal and they go to work to lift and hold the clutch disk away from the flywheel..
What he said.
My NV3550 is noisy in neutral also.
Either my TJ was abused pretty bad or the NV3550 sucks. Feels like shifting a noodle(horrible index) and the sychros are slow/suck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK cool I may just get a free check to make sure wouldn't be a waste of time to know. Yeah the noise is only apparent when the clutch is up. Only got a few more weeks before I lose the 3 month or 3000 mile guaranty from the douche dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update if anyone is searching the forum with a similar issue:

Took my Jeep to my mechanic and the noise was normal. He inspected the clutch and tranny and all were in great shape.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep....I have an 05 LJ with the NSG370 6 spd. Sounds the exact same way. Kind of annoying, but runs just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you notice if you could hear, what sounds like, a bolt head or something hitting the bell housing when you push the clutch in. Mine has the marbles/whirling sound like yours, but when I push in the clutch it tick, tick, ticks to a stop until things stop turning.. I cant figure it out.. runs and pulls fine.. any help?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you notice if you could hear, what sounds like, a bolt head or something hitting the bell housing when you push the clutch in. Mine has the marbles/whirling sound like yours, but when I push in the clutch it tick, tick, ticks to a stop until things stop turning.. I cant figure it out.. runs and pulls fine.. any help?
don't remember hearing anything like that, but I will listen when I get back into it.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I replaced my ax15 with a nv3500 and the noisy neutral really blew my mind when I heard it. It was brand new...replaced the fluid with a different brand...no change. Just noisy for four years now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts