Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 2.4 5speed manual. 120,XXX miles

so a week or so ago iv noticed a slight rumble when going into either 1st 2nd or 3rd gear. 2 days ago i stared smelling alot of something like burning mud (no mud) and kinda sluggish when taking off.

HELP THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER

transmission going bad?
need for transmission filter?
low fluid?
any ideas?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
How's the fluid in transfer case and transmission? Glazing on the clutch?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont stay on the clutch much.
Also forgot to add that my clutch was easy to push and my rms were going up or staying when switching gears.
For example I swiched into 5th gear and was bearly at 55 and my rpms and engine was passing 3000

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I dont stay on the clutch much.
Also forgot to add that my clutch was easy to push and my rms were going up or staying when switching gears.
For example I swiched into 5th gear and was bearly at 55 and my rpms and engine was passing 3000
If your engine RPM's are going up and your speed isnt, your clutch is going out. It is slipping under stress. That will also give you the effect you mentioned before.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your engine RPM's are going up and your speed isnt, your clutch is going out. It is slipping under stress. That will also give you the effect you mentioned before.
Also explains the smell?
I dont understand why it would go out tho.
I dont over ride it.

Anyways how much would the fix be?
Is it something that isnt to hard to fix and could do it myself with the right tools?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Also explains the smell? I dont understand why it would go out tho. I dont over ride it. Anyways how much would the fix be? Is it something that isnt to hard to fix and could do it myself with the right tools?
Well "burning mud" makes me think of what you smell after you go in a mud hole, you know, when the mud gets on the drivetrain and the water evaporates... It has that characteristic smell..

Anyways clutches wear out. They don't last forever, and yours is at the end of it's life. It'll probably cost $150-200 to replace it. You're gonna want to get the flywheel resurfaced or buy a new one as well. No idea what they cost. Also replace the throw out bearing if your clutch doesn't come with one.

If you stay focused it'll take 4 hours or so to replace it. You'll have to drop the skid plate, remove the driveshafts, transfer case, and finally the transmission. You'll need a jack to hold it in place as well as a buddy to help you align it.
Might have to take the exhaust off to make it easier to get to the transfer case nuts. I don't have a 4 cylinder so I'm not sure...

Have fun with it

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well "burning mud" makes me think of what you smell after you go in a mud hole, you know, when the mud gets on the drivetrain and the water evaporates... It has that characteristic smell..

Anyways clutches wear out. They don't last forever, and yours is at the end of it's life. It'll probably cost $150-200 to replace it. You're gonna want to get the flywheel resurfaced or buy a new one as well. No idea what they cost. Also replace the throw out bearing if your clutch doesn't come with one.

If you stay focused it'll take 4 hours or so to replace it. You'll have to drop the skid plate, remove the driveshafts, transfer case, and finally the transmission. You'll need a jack to hold it in place as well as a buddy to help you align it.
Might have to take the exhaust off to make it easier to get to the transfer case nuts. I don't have a 4 cylinder so I'm not sure...

Have fun with it
Thanks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I would NOT resurface the flywheel. Cleaning it up is one thing, but if it's shot I'd replace it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yeah you can't really resurface a tj flywheel because it has a slight dome shape to it. Its only like $60 for a new one I think.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I would NOT resurface the flywheel. Cleaning it up is one thing, but if it's shot I'd replace it.
Yeah you can't really resurface a tj flywheel because it has a slight dome shape to it. Its only like $60 for a new one I think.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. Never had to pull my clutch off yet. Well that saves me the hassle of pulling it all apart to find that I don't have a flywheel to put on!

What is the purpose of a dome shaped flywheel? Does that mean that the clutch would have a dome shape as well?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
jeepwayoflife said:
The fly wheel for the 2.4L is a 500 plus dollar part due to the fact that it's a dual mass flywheel it shouldn't need resurfacing ... But I would get that Clutch changed ASAP! A full kit is around 120 and will include a pilot bushing, throw out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate. If you have the tools, time and some mechanical skills it's not a terrible job to tackle your self in a weekend. There's a couple really good threads here that will walk you thru step by step....

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
The clutch is slipping, and I'd be willing to bet what you're smelling is it burning. I'd replace the clutch, pressure plate, TOB, pilot bearing, and flywheel{?}. I prefer to replace them but if its a dual mass flywheel and costs $500 I'd do some further investigation. Depending on cost, age, and location of it, I'd consider the slave cylinder too. Overkill, probably, but the last thing I'd want to be doing is the job over again if something fails because I didn't replace it while I had everything apart. I learned that once the hard way.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well its $500 for a Mopar flywheel. I just did some googling and found one for $62 and one for $120.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
jeepwayoflife said:
Well its $500 for a Mopar flywheel. I just did some googling and found one for $62 and one for $120.
Is that for a dual mass flywheel which is what the 2.4L neon/pt cruiser DOHC engine uses?

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
For $62-$120 I'd change it vs. cutting it, or hoping the original isn't warped, or has heat related issues.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fly wheel for the 2.4L is a 500 plus dollar part due to the fact that it's a dual mass flywheel it shouldn't need resurfacing ... But I would get that Clutch changed ASAP! A full kit is around 120 and will include a pilot bushing, throw out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate. If you have the tools, time and some mechanical skills it's not a terrible job to tackle your self in a weekend. There's a couple really good threads here that will walk you thru step by step....

i have alot to learn haha
is that what all comes included in a clutch kit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts