Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, I am thinking about adding a TJ to my collection and want something different. I like the Truck / Scrambler / AEV conversions, just thinking if I should by a 2004-06 LJ unlimited and convert myself, or buy one already done. I am looking at 2 on the market:

North Georgia Truck and Jeep | Cartersville,*30120*Bartow County,*30121*Atlanta, GA | Quality Used Trucks and Jeeps | Pre-Owned Jeep Wrangler, Liberty, Cherokee

Cars for Sale: 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 in Ormond Beach, FL 32176: Sport Utility Details - 330491401 - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
the one on top looks like the one someone built and posted it to a forum. not wrangler forum, some other site.. just the parts are 9k thats not including labor, or time, or paint or tools needed or anything else like that.. if you are looking for a major project, build one, but if you just want one, buy it. A lot less work, and probably equal in price.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You will want to find a shop to do the conversion or buy one already done. Someone posted they wanted to know what was involved in doing the conversion to the JK-8, Here is a thread to kinda give you an idea of what to expect.....

Jeep JK8 Project

·
Registered
591 Posts
Those are awesome. I thought about this too, but I already got a truck and kind of like the full back seat in the TJ. Have you checked out the AEV Brute conversion kit? its a lot of money (like everything) but it looks like it would be the way to go for a DIY project.

·
Registered
591 Posts
^^^ Thanks! I wanted to see this how it's done!^^^

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just trying to see if these numbers add up to $20k for the gr8top conversion which I think comes close:

2004 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED LJ CUSTOMIZED TRUCK
4.0 6CYL AUTOMATIC 4X4 A/C
FULL DOORS HALF HARDTOP TINTED WINDOWS SLIDING REAR WINDOW
NEW 6" PROCOMP LIFT KIT WITH 35" MICKEY THOMPON BAJA MTZ
NEW 16" PRO COMP WHEELS
NEW BESTOP HIGH ROCK FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS WITH NEW KC LIGHTS
LINE X BED LINER PAINTED TO MATCH 6" POCKET FENDER FLARES, MIRRORS, AND TOP
JEEP MOPAR FACTORY NAVIGATION/ TRAIL GUIDE
CHROME SS TRIM KIT WARN ROCKER GUARDS
DANA 44 AXLES

CLEAN CAR FAX 38K MILES

gr8top 1350 plus freight
bulkhead 265 plus freight

2004 LJ with 38k miles $15-$17k KBB trade-in/private party

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've heard of problems with the tub flexing when you have a gr8tops. The roll bars supposedly provide a lot of structural integrity for the tub.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
wneiswender said:
i went to see the black truck in cartersville. it still has a rollbar in it. i guess they cut it. overall it was very clean.
It's still not a truck. It is just an Lj with a half top. But if you don't mind that go for it. I would just buy a cheap Lj and put a half top on it. You'd probably be saving a lot of money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i dont know about you but the black one is 20,000 dollars and is an 04 with 38,000 miles and the red one is an 02 with 89,000 miles it's 30,000 dollars. for 10,000 less, 2 years newer and more than half the miles the black one is enough truck for me.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
But also look into the lift on the black one. Those look like 37's and very close to the rear flare. There is a lot that should be doe for those size tires and whatever lift that is.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I know a lot of $$ went into the AEV Brute, but it is now an impractical truck. The Black '04 for $10K less (and newer with lower miles) can go back to being an LJ and looks just as cool. For the $10K savings, you could buy a damn nice 88-98 K1500 if you need a truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts