Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im new to jeeps and have been researching for a while and i am ready to buy one. Im looking around for a tj (any year) with the coveted 4.0 and around 150k miles, but in my area what im looking for doesnt come cheaper than 10k. Are there any tips or tricks to finding one cheaper (around the 8k mark) im in Tennessee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :happyyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Patience is a virtue. Or so they say. I just bought my TJ (03 4.0 5 speed with 80k miles) for $7500 with a little negotiating. Take your time, and the right one will come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
thanks for the quick reply, and ive got to say id be thrilled to find that. ill keep patient... for now
Use searchtempest.com and search in as large a radius as you're willing to travel for your Jeep. I searched for 6 months and looked at so many ads it made me sick. I did learn the market and knew a good deal when I saw it.

We ended up traveling 16 hours (flew down) and drove our LJR back. Worth every minute and dime we spent! Blue LJ, Rubi, BONE stock, 48k miles, 6spd.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Main thing is not to be in a hurry. An impulse buy will cost you. Personally, I would have a problem paying $10k or more for any tj. If it was low miles and quality mods, maybe. You have to be careful with the jeeps, they have age and folks have hacked the heck out of the over the years. Make sure you buy quality.

I had an 04 TJ that after buying, found out it had the cheapest lift available. Thing rode like a sherman tank. Caveat Emptor!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I shopped around a good bit and settled on what I thought was the best bang for my buck. My 4.0L '03 TJ, purchased in 2013, had 97k miles on it I think at the time, and I still paid $10,500 for it in the winter. It was in really good shape for the year and being in the rust belt. The underside was bed lined and have very minimal rust, the interior was in great shape, unlike the worn/torn seats I was seeing in other jeeps for less, so I went with it. Don't regret it one bit.

Of course with 150k, I would definitely expect to pay less.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woah, Thanks for all the replies. I guess ill keep my eye out and not rush into buying one im not completely happy with.

·
Registered
345 Posts
NADA, Edmunds and KBB.com will all tell you what a vehicle's worth in a given geography. In addition to the patience part, SearchCraigslist.org is your friend and being willing to travel a bit can save thousands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on how far you want to travel like others have said. I have seen quit a few on CL around military base areas that do a lot of deployments (Navy bases are good areas to look).

·
Registered
125 Posts
We've been looking for about a year and finally bought one last week. Most of the Wranglers we saw had a good amount of rust that I was not comfortable with. Half of them had visible suspension issues.

'01 Wrangler Sport (4.0L/6cyl) mostly stock (aftermarket wheels) with 204 on the clock and NO RUST!! for $6k in the North Carolina market.

I've seen some 2.5L going for $7500+ which is just crazy talk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So im new to jeeps and have been researching for a while and i am ready to buy one. Im looking around for a tj (any year) with the coveted 4.0 and around 150k miles, but in my area what im looking for doesnt come cheaper than 10k. Are there any tips or tricks to finding one cheaper (around the 8k mark) im in Tennessee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :happyyes:
Hey Robert, I was in your shoes a month ago (and I live in Mid-TN) and was looking for the exact same thing - 4.0 for $8k with the additional qualifier of needing Auto trans for my wife. I agree with the previous posts, the only thing I would add is that I would set up a Craigslist alert with the CPlus app, because the only reason I got mine was because I was the first to contact the seller.

I ended up getting mine (in great shape) with 110k miles for $8400 which I felt was a steal. I contacted the seller less than an hour after he posted it and by the time I got there to see it the next day (3 hours away in KY) he said he had gotten 15 calls and 3 guys saying they would buy it out from under me with cash that 1st day.

Just be patient and quick when you see it. I almost compromised on something I didn't really want so many times out of frustration looking for so long, but just stick with it and I think you can find something. For what it's worth with the demand being so high, I think this guy could have sold it for $9500 with no problem. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yah don't rush, and ur well south of the salt belt...I looked at more than 50, over about 4 months, b4 I found this 1 .......be sure to check all body mount dimples for corrosion as well as frame

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
e13013, good to know there is hope. I found one with low miles in alabama within my price range due to being "rebuilt" so i contacted the seller but couldnt meet up for a couple days so he sold it, which was a bummer but i guess it wasnt ment to be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finding a TJ that meets requirements and budget can require patience, luck, or travel. Possible a combination of the above. I was looking about 6 months. It seemed there was always something wrong with the ones I came across like being a color I hate or 4 cyl. or something.

One day I finally got lucky and by chance saw a marginal TJ in a used car while driving down the road. It ended up being a rusty northern Jeep - end of that idea. Well across the street was a sweet clean '06 with a sign on it. Checked it out and slapped the cash down on the table 2 days later. Luck had struck.

Keep looking and don't compromise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i found one that is interesting, its a 2000 with 157K miles for 7200 dollars (could probably haggle) but the fenders are starting to rust out, which i know is a common problem but i am planning on putting flat fenders on. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
329 Posts
so i found one that is interesting, its a 2000 with 157K miles for 7200 dollars (could probably haggle) but the fenders are starting to rust out, which i know is a common problem but i am planning on putting flat fenders on. what do you guys think?
Get the VIN and Carfax it. Find its previous owners location history and make sure it hasn't spent any time in the salt belt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts