Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my jeep about 4 months ago to replace my car lease, I was driving way too much for the lease so I had to get a second vehicle. My lease is going to be up in about 9 months (thank god). Ever since I got the jeep (which I thought I snagged it for a good price) I've worked on it, more than I drive and that's not really what I wanted. If problems keep accuring I'm going to sell it and get a different jeep. So the question is, should I get a "new" JK Rubicon, or another TJ? The dealership has a 2005 TJ X, 4.0, with 110k. I love the TJs but I also like the JKs. So what separates the TJs and JKs, I know a few things, but what are the major pros and cons of both. Just looking for some opinions!

Thanks for taking your time to read! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get a TJ Rubicon if you want the lockers or if you want some more room, get the LJ or LJ Rubicon. The TJ is a tub on frame design that is timeless and tried and true, like the engine. The JK is completely a ground up redesign. The sheet metal is much thinner than the TJ. Also aftermarket parts are cheaper for a TJ.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
That's a loaded question. Both have their pros & cons. JK is more DD friendly. TJ is easier to work on. Lots of threads on the subject. I second Shark 13. What's the issue with your TJ? Might be cheaper to keep her.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Or, keep your current Jeep, and when your lease is up, go pick up a JK.

Best of both worlds, right?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There are tons of threads on this. A JK is a completely different animal from the tub on frame design of the TJ. It is bigger, fatter, funkier, plusher, thinner metal, more plastic, curved windshield, more electronics, more leather, more mushiness.

The 2007 to 2012 JKs are very different from the 2013 and on, mostly engine and electronic improvements plus even more mushy leather, power windows, navigation junk and all that.

The best Jeep would be a TJ with a YJ or even a CJ interior. I cannot imagine purchasing a Jeep with leather and power windows. Or for that matter, with two extra doors. I see the market niche for the product but DC, now FC, should have kept the TJ footprint and utility as the Wrangler and developed the new family wagon as the Wagoneer or something like that.

Surely there is a place in the market for one real off road capable, simple, hose it out, top off utility vehicle and the JK is not that (and the TJ, well, just barely but much closer).

If you like the JK, get it. Maybe wait and see what this JL will be, I am sure it will be a squashed down aero cager mini van.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've replaced gears, transfer case, new heat control unit, new tires, new radiator coming in, gonna need the frame rust caps on both sides, the kid before welded square tubing for a new track bar mount so it won't rub on the diff cover (hate that he did that) the tub is a little rusty underneath, needs new seals on both differentials. Gonna have to replace the brake lines soon, need new control arms because he welded those too. And I just replaced the gas tank skid plate.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
A JK is a completely different animal from the tub on frame design of the TJ. It is bigger, fatter, funkier, plusher, thinner metal, more plastic, curved windshield, more electronics, more leather, more mushiness.

The best Jeep would be a TJ with a YJ or even a CJ interior. I cannot imagine purchasing a Jeep with leather and power windows. DC, now FC, should have kept the TJ footprint and utility as the Wrangler and developed the new family wagon as the Wagoneer or something like that.

Surely there is a place in the market for one real off road capable, simple, hose it out, top off utility vehicle and the JK is not that (and the TJ, well, just barely but much closer).

Wait and see what this JL will be, I am sure it will be a squashed down aero cager mini van.

Best post ever... too bad FC is not listening.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are tons of threads on this. A JK is a completely different animal from the tub on frame design of the TJ. It is bigger, fatter, funkier, plusher, thinner metal, more plastic, curved windshield, more electronics, more leather, more mushiness.

The 2007 to 2012 JKs are very different from the 2013 and on, mostly engine and electronic improvements plus even more mushy leather, power windows, navigation junk and all that.

The best Jeep would be a TJ with a YJ or even a CJ interior. I cannot imagine purchasing a Jeep with leather and power windows. Or for that matter, with two extra doors. I see the market niche for the product but DC, now FC, should have kept the TJ footprint and utility as the Wrangler and developed the new family wagon as the Wagoneer or something like that.

If you like the JK, get it. Maybe wait and see what this JL will be, I am sure it will be a squashed down aero cager mini van.
This is great

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Having worked on several JKs for friends, I personally find them a LOT harder to work on and to install accessories/upgrades/armor/etc. onto. They're designed like a car where everything is covered, integrated, multi-layer, data buses, engine hidden under plastic, and an interior that is distinctly not happy to be coated with dirt.

Take the basic/simple tub-mounted (stronger than frame mounted) rocker guard as an example. I can install a pair of rocker guards onto a TJ in an hour to two hours depending on the design. A friend asked me to install her rocker guards onto her brand-new JK and not knowing any better, I said I would. I did not yet know of the JK's double-layer tub design where you can no longer just through-bolt things like rocker guards. I ended up having to set threaded inserts into her JK's exterior tub sheet metal layer to hold them which was made doubly-difficult due to the boat-side angled shape of the bottom of the tub instead of a simple 90 degree like the TJ. That JK's rocker guard installation was FAR more difficult and time consuming to complete than a TJ's.

If you're the type to pay someone else to work on/upgrade your Jeep, the JK may be better for you. But if you want to install your own upgrades and take care of your own Jeep, there's no doubt in my mind that the TJ is much better suited to that type of Jeep owner.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Having worked on several JKs for friends, I personally find them a LOT harder to work on and to install accessories/upgrades/armor/etc. onto. They're designed like a car where everything is covered, integrated, multi-layer, data buses, engine hidden under plastic, and an interior that is distinctly not happy to be coated with dirt. If you're the type to pay someone else to work on/upgrade your Jeep, the JK may be better for you. But if you want to install your own upgrades and take care of your own Jeep, there's no doubt in my mind that the TJ is much better suited to that type of Jeep owner.
lol you know that plastic piece covering the engine just pops right off? I can not for the life of me figure out how someone can justify working on any rusty vehicle as easier then a vehicle that is not rusty. The TJ interior is just as carlike plastic. The bottoms look the same. Just heavier duty in the JK.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've replaced gears, transfer case, new heat control unit, new tires, new radiator coming in, gonna need the frame rust caps on both sides, the kid before welded square tubing for a new track bar mount so it won't rub on the diff cover (hate that he did that) the tub is a little rusty underneath, needs new seals on both differentials. Gonna have to replace the brake lines soon, need new control arms because he welded those too. And I just replaced the gas tank skid plate.
and this is why you got it at a good price. My TJ will out perform JK's where I play simply due to size.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
having worked on several jks for friends, i personally find them a lot harder to work on and to install accessories/upgrades/armor/etc. Onto. They're designed like a car where everything is covered, integrated, multi-layer, data buses, engine hidden under plastic, and an interior that is distinctly not happy to be coated with dirt. If you're the type to pay someone else to work on/upgrade your jeep, the jk may be better for you. But if you want to install your own upgrades and take care of your own jeep, there's no doubt in my mind that the tj is much better suited to that type of jeep owner.
x2

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The TJ interior is just as carlike plastic. The bottoms look the same. Just heavier duty in the JK.
The plastic interior is exactly what makes the TJ easier to clean and live with the top off all the time than the leather interior and navigation/entertainment center JK.

I owned both, I agree with Jerry, the TJ is much more friendly to work on, and I worked on both. If you like the JK, fine, seriously, get one. I did, and people kept complimenting me on my new Liberty. It just does not look like the decades old silhouette of the TJ/YJ/CJ.

It sounds like the OP has a problem, a vehicle that was poorly modified and beat on by the PO and is simply beyond his abilities and funds to fix. He probably should get another vehicle.

When purchasing real estate, location is everything. When purchasing a used vehicle, condition is everything.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I got my jeep about 4 months ago to replace my car lease, I was driving way too much for the lease so I had to get a second vehicle. My lease is going to be up in about 9 months (thank god). Ever since I got the jeep (which I thought I snagged it for a good price) I've worked on it, more than I drive and that's not really what I wanted. If problems keep accuring I'm going to sell it and get a different jeep. So the question is, should I get a "new" JK Rubicon, or another TJ? The dealership has a 2005 TJ X, 4.0, with 110k. I love the TJs but I also like the JKs. So what separates the TJs and JKs, I know a few things, but what are the major pros and cons of both. Just looking for some opinions! Thanks for taking your time to read! :)
so pros to buying a Jk. Probably less than 110k miles. Aftermarket support that will outlive TJ aftermarket support. Less rust to deal with. Plastic, most count this as a negative. After owning a rusty YJ for many years I'm quite happy to have plastic fenders that won't rust. And a plastic grill that you can just unsnap for easy access. The only reason I can see why you would want metal is if you were planning on standing on them. You can fit 33" tires on a jk with little to no lift. You can fit 35"s by trimming the fenders and a small 2.5" lift. It's a lot more work to get 35"s under a TJ. Your going to get a Dana 44 year axle on a JK. The TJ is hit or miss. You"ll have to look for one. The JK has longer control arms and rides better than a TJ. The JK comes with BLD even on base models which will outperform a base TJ's open diffs off-road. With either model the carpet is removable with drain holes so that's a wash (pun intended) if you do your own engine work. Well the jk has an engine. So your in luck. Starter, alternator, water pump, serpentine belt etc you'll recognize them all. So those are some of the pluses
The negatives. The TJ styling is more reminiscent of older model jeeps, the JK fails there. I agree jeep should have kept the footprint the same. Some trails that a TJ can fit is a tight squeeze in a JK. Most trails have widened to accommodate the jk though now. But I have encountered sections between trees where JK's have to go around. The electronics are more complex I myself am not an electrician so I would have to babe the work done either way. But you can't just slice into a power source on the JK, the canbus doesn't like it from what I've been told. So you power your accessories off the battery or through a spod or similar device. That adds cost over just splicing into wherever you find power. The JK wheel speed sensors can get screwed up in the mud. Making your jeep think something is going wrong and can send the dash all kinds of nasty lights. This is probably the biggest PIA with the JK I myself haven't had one go bad yet. But I'm sure my day is coming.

I wouldn't listen to anyone who discounts the JK based on plastic fenders or whatnot. Take the top down, remove the doors, fold down the windshield and take it off-road and anyone that denies that experience is JEEP through and through doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The plastic interior is exactly what makes the TJ easier to clean and live with the top off all the time than the leather interior and navigation/entertainment center JK. I owned both, I agree with Jerry, the TJ is much more friendly to work on, and I worked on both. If you like the JK, fine, seriously, get one. I did, and people kept complimenting me on my new Liberty. It just does not look like the decades old silhouette of the TJ/YJ/CJ. It sounds like the OP has a problem, a vehicle that was poorly modified and beat on by the PO and is simply beyond his abilities and funds to fix. He probably should get another vehicle. When purchasing real estate, location is everything. When purchasing a used vehicle, condition is everything.
damn I got screwed out of leather, they're all supposed to have leather? I call bullsht on your "people kept complementing me on my new Liberty" remark. I guess I need more details on what you guys were working on that made working on an old TJ was so much easier than working on a JK. The suspension looks practically identical in concept. The engine is an engine. Unless you were re-routing the electronics I can't see how the op would agree that working on his rusty TJ vs getting a reliable JK is the easy route. Rust sucks when going to wrenching parties as their grinding off bolts. And rigging something up I never look over at those guys with envy and think damn those things are easy to work on. Just watching them remove those rusted up skid plates makes me feel bad for them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This being the TJ forum I doubt you will find enthusiastic response to your belief system. The JK was an e-nightmare. As far as reliability, wow, I found the opposite.

And call BS all you want on the Liberty, it was common, especially when I first bought it and people were still accustomed to the traditional Wrangler, to them, the JK looked like a Liberty and in fact, it does. I think it is the grill and flanders that completes the look.

Some of us own TJs because we like them better than JKs for whatever reasons we choose. If you want to find JK love there is a forum for that I think.

J

1 - 20 of 80 Posts