Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 98 TJ, which I'm 90% in love with. The 10% keeping it from that perfect hundred is the sound. Everything interior wise is complete stock, sans shifter.

I'm looking to spend about $300 on getting some nice sound out of it, I'm completely open to all ideas, maybe some pictures of your setup?

I wouldn't mind setting up a sub, but have trouble imagining finding the space! What are peoples thoughts on the soundbars? Brands?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
speakers- toss some 6 1/2in in the sound bar and some 5 1/2in (rounds in both) in the the front and a decent head unit will be good enough. Alpine is what I ran in mine. You need to also buy the adapters for the front speakers. You can toss a sub in but honestly it is a jeep not a car. So when you wheel it (trust me you will wheel) and sink it in mud/water and destroy the amp and sub your going to be pissed.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can also get a locking center console with a place for a subwoofer, and a spot for the head unit as well. Have one, lurve it. =) Has been pried on a couple times by would-be burglars, to no avail.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
for best sound first you need a new headunit, than a set of speakers, after that a sub and amp.

i have a pioneer headunit, infinity kappa perfect 5.25" components in the front, a set of 6.5" infinity kappa perfect components, MB Quart DSC 1500.1D amp powering an Incriminator audio 12" death penalty. all the speaker wires have been replaces with a higher quality larger gauge wire, the amp is powered by 0/1 gauge wire, and the "big three" wire upgrade, the big three upgrade is when you replace both ground wires for your battery with 0/1 gauge wire and replacing the battery to alternator wire with a 0/1 gauge wire. also have a sirius radio and ipod with the headunit

here are a few pics.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speakers- toss some 6 1/2in in the sound bar and some 5 1/2in (rounds in both) in the the front and a decent head unit will be good enough. Alpine is what I ran in mine. You need to also buy the adapters for the front speakers. You can toss a sub in but honestly it is a jeep not a car. So when you wheel it (trust me you will wheel) and sink it in mud/water and destroy the amp and sub your going to be pissed.
I have a great old Alpine head unit, but it doesn't have the audio jack on it for an iPod, I'm currently using an FM transmitter. What are the adapters for the front speakers?

I would desperately like to start wheeling, but honestly, I have no idea how to start going about it, and am completely clueless about it (This however, could be a whole new thread.) Plus I don't think I can afford to start a lift addiction!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
ahaha yes jeeps get pricey. quadratec has the adapters. You will see why when you put speakers in the front lol. do you have a USB plugin in the back of the unit?

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the Alpine Media Xpander, it's old school, I think it's from 2004? No USB plugin to my knowledge. I'm pretty useless with all this stuff, but looking to learn, and maybe DIY a lot of it, heck that's half of what Jeeps are all about, right?!

JMA20a- That looks good, you lost me on the wiring, but I'm sure it sounds great!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
the reasoning behind the upgraded wires under the hood is to get rid of the dimming of the headlights and interior lights when the bass hits, most people go and buy a capacitor to try to fix the problem but a capacitor is just a paper weight. and the 0/1 gauge wire is the biggest you can go with, and when your system is running around 2000watts at .5 ohms you need the biggest wire you can go with and i used one of the best brands of power and ground wires, its about 5 per foot.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the stock radio from a 2007-2008 Wrangler... or the option of having one. Should I even consider putting it in... is it even possible, it's probably too big.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No pics, but I'm running a Sony marine radio and Polk DXI 5.25" marine certified speakers in both the sound bar and dash. Works and sounds great. Personally I don't like the idea of a sub in Wranglers. Like 4 doors, God just never intended it. :cool:

Stereo was around $180 and the Polks were $80 a pair.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No pics, but I'm running a Sony marine radio and Polk DXI 5.25" marine certified speakers in both the sound bar and dash. Works and sounds great. Personally I don't like the idea of a sub in Wranglers. Like 4 doors, God just never intended it. :cool:

Stereo was around $180 and the Polks were $80 a pair.
I bet that holds up pretty nice under the elements, never thought about heading that direction.

Haha, I take it you don't care for the 4 door Wranglers?

Btw, checked out your jeep profile, that's a hot little TJ you've got there, I especially like the seats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts