Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know with any wiring system black wire is negative in red is positive but I'm confused with this wiring because the black is mixed in with the red wires I don't know does that matter? It's still negative right? Because I found it connected to the positive side with the red wires. Most of the wires are labeled but this black one's not labeled so I don't know what it goes to. It's taped to the wire that says second cigarette lighter 12v so I'm wondering if it's the first cigarette lighter? And maybe that's why the cigarette lighter doesn't work! Duh! I guess what I really need to know now is if I connect it to the negative side is it going to blow my whole system? Plus I have more questions about problems I'm having with my 21 year old Jeep.

Registered
The color of the insulator does not make the connection positive or negative! You can have a green with orange polka dots be spliced with a blue then black then back to red all be sent to the positive +12vdc. If you are questioning where the cabling is coming from (posi or ground) get yourself a multimeter and watch some youtube to learn how to use it.

Registered
I think what R4D4R is getting at is that normal convention uses red wire for positive and black wire for negative and for factory wiring that is a pretty safe assumption, or at least a different color wire with red or black tracers. With aftermarket wiring, all bets are off. Though it looks like most of the wires you disconnected are red, the previous owner may have run out of red wire when wiring that last accessory and instead of running to the store to grab more, he decided he would just use the black wire he had on hand. I would not automatically assume that because a wire is black that it must be a ground wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
With aftermarket wiring it's always best to ignore the wire color and just use a meter (or go/nogo test light) to confirm the wiring before you connect things. Meters are cheap these days and if you do ANY electrical, you really should have one.

Super Moderator
That is a tj not a jk

Registered
first it would be nice to add a fuse block for the accessories, try something like this Blue Sea Systems 5045 ST Blade Compact Fuse Block, 4 Circuits | Waytek, you can label it and add appropriate fuses to the circuit. then if the black wire is wired incorrectly you will pop the fuse for it. otherwise i would assume it is wired correctly if it was working, then one day it quit.

the wires are just paths, you mention other problems, odd erratic issues are poor battery or bad ground, bigger ground wire is better.

Registered
That's Not Right..... Ok, ok someone had to say it, right? So many questions

Sorry

I'm talking aboot the wiring......

Reactions: Keon

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
first it would be nice to add a fuse block for the accessories, try something like this Blue Sea Systems 5045 ST Blade Compact Fuse Block, 4 Circuits | Waytek, you can label it and add appropriate fuses to the circuit. then if the black wire is wired incorrectly you will pop the fuse for it. otherwise i would assume it is wired correctly if it was working, then one day it quit.

the wires are just paths, you mention other problems, odd erratic issues are poor battery or bad ground, bigger ground wire is better.
Yes there is the fact that it hates road hills. I was traveling last week and when I hit a mountainous region the Jeep didn't want to change gears from 2nd to 3rd I had to coax it with a flutter every time. At first I thought it was the transmission but when I seen that it was perfect on straight ways and off road I then thought it was needing a new fuel filter? I had it hooked up and codes said everything was ok. I took it to a mechanic and oddly enough he said I either needed to rebuild the transmission or replace it completely. Needless to say that one didn't get the $2,500 from me he was looking for because I don't believe it is transmission problems. Maybe I'm wrong like so many other times but I'd like to know if this is a common thing with the sort? I guess it is important to say that I live in San Francisco hill central and drive for work and he doesn't give me any problems on these hills.

Registered
2010 JK
Yes there is the fact that it hates road hills. I was traveling last week and when I hit a mountainous region the Jeep didn't want to change gears from 2nd to 3rd I had to coax it with a flutter every time. At first I thought it was the transmission but when I seen that it was perfect on straight ways and off road I then thought it was needing a new fuel filter? I had it hooked up and codes said everything was ok. I took it to a mechanic and oddly enough he said I either needed to rebuild the transmission or replace it completely. Needless to say that one didn't get the $2,500 from me he was looking for because I don't believe it is transmission problems. Maybe I'm wrong like so many other times but I'd like to know if this is a common thing with the sort? I guess it is important to say that I live in San Francisco hill central and drive for work and he doesn't give me any problems on these hills.
A transmission fluid flush would be my first step when dealing with transmission issues. Also, you need to keep in mind that the added weight from all of the umm... accessories will slow the car down by quite a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts