Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Short version. I've had several issues with my TJ since it was left in the rain. I managed to resolve a bunch of them and they are all electrical related. Currently I have a P0121 and P0123 code with the stuttering and RPM symptoms.

I'm pretty sure it's wiring. The previous owner hacked the crap out of all the wiring under the hood. Most of it is taped together and it's in pretty rough shape. I knew this going into it, but it was running great when I got it and it was very very cheap.

I have the soldering skills to start pulling each wire apart and repairing it correctly; but I'm wondering...is there an easier way? Could I just pull a wiring system out of a junked TJ and plug and play all the connectors? Has anyone had experience with this? Just looking for general advice.

This is a project TJ I bought to help myself learn about vehicle maintenance so I don't mind putting the time in. However at the same time I would like to drive it at least a little bit this summer :)

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Yours is a 98 4.0?

If in really poor shape could use a 97-99 XJ 4.0 for most wiring items and XJs are much more plentiful at you pull it than are TJs

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In the long run it will be easier and less man hours to replace the harness's than to track down and repair all the messed up wiring. That being said it's not gonna be easy but if you take your time one plug at a time it won't be too bad.

That's one thing I look at long and hard when buying a used vehicle. If the wiring is messed up even a little bit it gets marked off the list of potential purchases. To me that's a direct indication of how well the previous owner maintained the vehicle and the skill level of that person.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Correct. 1998 4.0

How big of a job is that and how easy is it to miss something?
I replaced the underhood wiring on my 00. its not very hard, just plug and unplug as you go. just make sure the harness you pickup has the same part numbers on the bottom of the fuse box as yours. I got one from Ray's Wranglers off E-Bay. I took all my old harness loose from the body attachments and laid it on the engine. laid out the new harness and plugged everything in. again, just make sure the part numbers are matching, it took 2 tries to get one that fit my jeep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
That advice is very helpful.

I think I'm going to track down a harness and just go for it.

mudbug85603 you are 100% right about the electrical. I thought since I have an electrical background It wouldn't be a big deal; but I was wrong. If I could go back I would have passed on this one for sure; but hey. Here we are!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks guys.

mudbug85603 you are 100% right about the electrical. I thought since I have an electrical background It wouldn't be a big deal; but I was wrong. If I could go back I would have passed on this one for sure; but hey. Here we are!
LoL..... you wanted a project:winner:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks guys.

scared the crap out of me also, but it ain't that hard. worse thing that happeded, the first harness was not exactly correct. when we plugged it all up, the engine would run, but I had a CEL. we plugged the OBD reader in and it didn't work. Called Ray's back and they sent another harness and this one worked perfectly. I have a complete harness for a 2000, but the fuse box is cracked. If you would post your numbers from the bottom of your box, I'll check if it fits. Pay shipping and its yours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scared the crap out of me also, but it ain't that hard. worse thing that happeded, the first harness was not exactly correct. when we plugged it all up, the engine would run, but I had a CEL. we plugged the OBD reader in and it didn't work. Called Ray's back and they sent another harness and this one worked perfectly. I have a complete harness for a 2000, but the fuse box is cracked. If you would post your numbers from the bottom of your box, I'll check if it fits. Pay shipping and its yours.
Hey! That's very kind of you.
I will check it out when I have a chance this week.

It's been pouring rain all week up here, but I will check and get back to you.

This number is on the underside of the fuse box or the lid for the fuse box?

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Although 97-99
2000 is different as it uses coil rail so has three coil trigger wires where 97-99 use a single coil with a single coil trigger wire

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Works killing me.

56009713AB is the number on mine.
My harness has a different number. I could not read all the number, but the last 4 were different. did you check with Ray's Wranglers? they sell on Ebay, look for a harness on there. They fixed me right up. good luck sorry I couldn't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My harness has a different number. I could not read all the number, but the last 4 were different. did you check with Ray's Wranglers? they sell on Ebay, look for a harness on there. They fixed me right up. good luck sorry I couldn't help.
No worries man!

I have checked in the past. I will check again.
The thing that sucks is he doesn't allow messages via his ebay store so I can't even ask him :s

Anyways. No worries.

I did end up replacing, by hand about 15 wires from around the middle of the yolk to the clips already. I've take care of all the really really bad ones properly with solder, butt connectors and heat shrink so if I need to wait to find the right part it's A OK!

·
Registered
787 Posts
No worries man!

I have checked in the past. I will check again.
The thing that sucks is he doesn't allow messages via his ebay store so I can't even ask him :s

Anyways. No worries.

I did end up replacing, by hand about 15 wires from around the middle of the yolk to the clips already. I've take care of all the really really bad ones properly with solder, butt connectors and heat shrink so if I need to wait to find the right part it's A OK!
610-367-2078 Ray's Mower shop. Gloria will answer. talk to her, she can help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts