Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Started up the front yesterday! First thing was first, the coilover springs had to come out. Put the jeep on full compression and took a look at things that made contact. I found that the trackbar would make contact with the diff cover at full compression and the upper axle mount on the 3 link would get within a hair width from the A/C compressor on the engine. Next step was to mock up the mounting locations for the bumps. After I found a suitable spot, I burned them in.

Next step was to make the landing pads on the axle. I had to sacrifice some uptravel because of how I mounted my bumps more inboard then the coilovers. This throws the bumps and shocks off the same plane so they see different numbers when you compress and extend each side of the axle. So today I got the landing pads welded up and ready to go on the axle and I was able to make some new bends on my trackbar so it cleared the diff cover properly. On top of all that I took off my tierod, draglink, and trackbar and gave it a new paint job. Tomorrow I should be done with the front, and hopefully next weekend I can finish the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was born with scoliosis which puts my height at 4'11". I am supposed to be around 5'7" but because of my curved spine it has compressed my body down. This means I need a really high seat just so I can see. My legs are the normal size I was supposed to be so even though the seat is high I can still reach the pedals. If I sit normally in a normal sedan, Ill be staring right at the center of the steering wheel :rofl:
holy wow! thats amazing. and somewhat funny the way you put it lol :rofl:
but thats great that you've built that amazing rig and to your liking. props to you man!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Just buttoned everything up! Got the steering back in place, and took some pics at ride height. I have about 2" of uptravel until it starts to hit the bumps. Not as much as I would like but as a daily driver and a rock crawler it will have to do.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So an update. Added some new LED rock lights from Online-LED-Store. They needed a rig to put it on for pics so I volunteered. I put the lights on a couple weeks ago and last weekend we decided to head to Johnson Valley to take some pictures, specifically I chose the beginning rock garden of Chocolate Thunder. Since I was alone in a single Jeep, I did not go further up the trail.

Unfortunately when we got there the wiring on my lights decided to pose a problem and started to throw the rock light fuse every time I turned it on. Turned out I screwed up my wiring and something was grounded. Anyways, took some pictures while I was there and called it a night.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Well done, love LJ's and you certainly put in the work to get to an awesome rig.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Time for an update! Since the last time I posted I went to Gorman, Calico and Silverwood Lake. Here are a few pictures from each.

Gorman:

Calico:

Silverwood Lake:

Also couple days ago I wanted to do some visual mods and did this:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing a link that has pics!

I do have one question about the front "3 link". Why did you not use the pumpkin UCL location? Seems like the middle of the long side would be a bad spot for torque loading the axle with a good sized moment arm.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Thanks for sharing a link that has pics!

I do have one question about the front "3 link". Why did you not use the pumpkin UCL location? Seems like the middle of the long side would be a bad spot for torque loading the axle with a good sized moment arm.
I did not use the stock pumpkin UCA position because the upper clayton arm has 2 joints on the end which means I cannot use the stock bracket location on the pumpkin. You are right that the middle of the longside is not the ideal spot. That is why there is a small truss over the pumpkin and the upper control arm is fixed to that.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts