Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 193 Posts
305 Posts
Damn, had me worried there. I thought you were going to sell your wrangler for something else.

Im having a hard time figuring out what locker to throw into the front JKD44. I can get the stock E-locker used for around $400 with low miles, or I can choose the other 30 spline alternative and spend around $1000 and grab an OX locker with the electric actuator. What do you guys think?
I would go with the OX locker. Do it once and do it right. :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Damn, had me worried there. I thought you were going to sell your wrangler for something else.

I would go with the OX locker. Do it once and do it right. :)
Haha no I dont think ill ever sell this. As far as locker goes thats what ill be doing. I decided on the OX just to do it right the first time. Id want to go ARB but I dont want to upgrade to 35 spline shafts.

My dad posed a good question... "why do people replace the stock locker?" Basically telling me to rethink buying a used factory locker and going for a new replacment.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So it seems like I wont have enough time to save up for beadlocks by time turdhurdler's event rolls by, so I will be buying some stock JK rims and mounting the 37" MTRs on them instead until I can get some beadlocks. I might also need to get some spacers because the stock JK rims have like 6" backspacing.

Also decided on going with the OX locker for sure. I will be buying the electric actuator for it so I can hook up the locker straight to my switch in the jeep and not have to find a mounting place for the mechanical switch.

As soon as my finals are over for college I will be taking my axles and tires/wheels off, selling them, and buying the remainder of my parts which include: clayton kit, 37" MTRs, and some JK rims off CL. Hopefully I can get this all done for Big Bear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I run the factory e-locker in mine and personally I love it. So easy to use/wire up and has not failed me. I'm curious to see how it holds up with the 40s though.

Are you going to run the jk wheels with your current setup? Or with the jk axles. Because if with the jk axles it'll set you roughly back to 4" bs because of the width of the axles.

But if not you'd need spacers anyway with the bolt pattern being difference. I'm sure you know that though.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I run the factory e-locker in mine and personally I love it. So easy to use/wire up and has not failed me. I'm curious to see how it holds up with the 40s though.

Are you going to run the jk wheels with your current setup? Or with the jk axles. Because if with the jk axles it'll set you roughly back to 4" bs because of the width of the axles.

But if not you'd need spacers anyway with the bolt pattern being difference. I'm sure you know that though.
Id run the factory locker but I cant find any for cheap. At the price im seeing id rather buy a OX and be done with it.

I plan on running the rims with the JK axles. Ill be adding spacers so I have room to mount the coilovers front and rear. The rims will be semi temporary until I can find some beadlocks with 3-4" BS.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Id run the factory locker but I cant find any for cheap. At the price im seeing id rather buy a OX and be done with it. I plan on running the rims with the JK axles. Ill be adding spacers so I have room to mount the coilovers front and rear. The rims will be semi temporary until I can find some beadlocks with 3-4" BS.
400 vs 1000 though.

And I see. Yeah it's tight in there with 4" BS on jk axles with COs. The jk wheels will bring you back to Tj width with 4" BS.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yesterday I picked up 4 JK rims w/ tires from a guy off JK forum for $75! Ill use the tires as rollers until I get the 37s mounted on. Its a shame that these rims have 6.5" BS because I like the look of them.

Also picked up front JK calipers w/ the frame and pads off a guy from JK Owners. My front axle was missing the brake components and my rear is missing the calipers w/ the frame. So I still need to find a set for the rear.

This build is almost ready to start, ive been collecting parts for 2 months now. The big stuff left to get are the clayton arms, 37 MTRs, and some small things here and there.

Soon™

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In the rear anyway. The front has plenty of room.
I can't find them for $400. All the ones I have found were already sold. Ive been searching forums and CL and have not had any luck. The ones im able to find now are going for 600+. Ive also read people having problems with the lockers not unlocking or locking or the locking plate wearing out ect. so im opting for the OX as an aftermarket replacement.

Also like you mentioned the rear will pose a problem with coilovers since I plan on outboarding the shocks. I'll most likely be returning the rear shock towers I bought from RuffStuff and picking up a set of Poison Spyder rear shock outboard kit which will cut into the frame, that should solve any clearance issues in the rear, and like you said the front has plenty of room to play in.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-Upper-Coilover-Mounts-Rear-p/14-51-010.htm

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I never realized they were that expensive. I made all my towers. You should opt for custom ones.
Ill only be spending $50 on them if I include the money back from the ruffstuff rear towers. Id go custom but im willing to pay little extra to save me time from fabricating a mount from scratch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ill only be spending $50 on them if I include the money back from the ruffstuff rear towers. Id go custom but im willing to pay little extra to save me time from fabricating a mount from scratch.
$50 is not bad at all haha. Id go with that for sure. I saw the $160 price tag and thought that was crazy

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
$50 is not bad at all haha. Id go with that for sure. I saw the $160 price tag and thought that was crazy
Ya $160 is pretty expensive when all it really is bent sheet metal. The top mounts don't come welded. RuffStuff coilover towers sell for $100 and they come prewelded and with grade 8 bolts, really nothing beats RuffStuff when it comes to pricing and quality.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not much progress going on. I can't tear into my jeep until my dads JKU is done being rebuilt. The goal is to get my dads JK driveable by August 1st so we have an extra vehicle so I can drive around my sister for whatever she needs :rolleyes:

Yesterday I dropped by King Shocks to drop off one of my dads coilovers which has a bent shaft, in the process I got my coilovers charged because the nitrogen had escaped after sitting in storage for over a year.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yesterday I placed an order on 4WP for the rest of the parts needed for my front axle, along with front and rear Currie HD lower control arm brackets. I went with the OX locker for the front with the electronic shift since I have button already setup in the cab.

Also bought some extra things from RuffStuff like the offset tire rod ends to clear the OX diff cover and a offset panhard bracket.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Came back today from my vacation to Mexico and I find that my 4WheelParts shipment arrived while I was away. 4WP emailed me saying the remainder of my parts have been sent out, meaning I should have everything I ordered. However half of my parts are still missing. UPS dropped off the package on Wednesday, and it is now Sunday. UPS tracker says that the shipment was 16lb which is what I got, however 4WP email says I should have recieved everything.

I will have to give them a call in the morning and see what is up.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Talked to 4WP and they told me my parts are coming from all over so it won't be long. The last thing to arrive will be the OX Locker which hopefully will get here by friday. During my downtime today I cleaned up the rusty looking old axle shaft and put on the new U joint, now it sits nicely next to the new axle replacement axle shaft. I have a a lot of parts collecting on the garage table that will need to be added to the front axle soon.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
New tires came in! Can't wait to put them on!

Just kidding! This spare tire came for my dads JKU, its a 40x13.5x17, looks so big compared to my tiny 33s. I wish I can throw that on mine, but my JK axles aren't built enough for them yet!

21 - 40 of 193 Posts