Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got all my front axle hardware in today and I dropped off my axle at a buddy's shop to do the gear work. Gotta say that OX diff cover is BEEFY.

These past couple weeks we have been waiting for parts to arrive for my dads jeep and we have been working on my dads jeep to get it drivable. Now my dad decided to give it to a body shop to finish that way it can get done faster. In about 2-3 weeks his jeep should be on the road, meaning I can start tearing into my jeep. Here are some pics of his jeep that we have been working on.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Pics came out a little blurry, but got the OX locker and gears setup. Started putting together the axle. All that is left for the front is for me to weld on the gussets and all the brackets and to setup the steering, then paint it all.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finally finished grinding down everything on the rear axle. I ordered the rear poison spyder frame coilover mount. Been a week and they haven't shipped it out yet :(.

I decided that I will be pushing my rear axle back 4" and push my front axle forward by 1". In order to push the rear axle back, I need to push the rear gas tank back as well. Luckily, LJs have an extra cross member behind the gas tank, so pushing the axle back is much easier then on a TJ. I figured since i'm doing weld on long arm brackets, then I might as well just push it back a little just like the Poison Spyder's Daddy Longleg LJ.

Got a cool shot while I was grinding :thumb:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
One of the rear axle studs on the JK44 was screwed up by the last owner so I swapped it out for a new stud. Also picked up new brake hardware for the rear.

Both axles are all ready to have brackets welded on and thrown under the LJ. All I need to do now is order the clayton arms and wait for the poison spyder rear coilover mounts to come. Still been a week and a half and they have yet to ship them out :(

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alright, Clayton kit has been ordered. Expected delivery time is Thursday of this week. Also picked up two pairs of 1.25" spacers in order to clear the rear for the coilovers. Its been two weeks and Poison Spyder has yet to ship my rear coilover mounts. I keep calling asking for a status but they keep pushing the days back. Hopefully they get here soon because I want to tear into this before school starts.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tk do you have any specs on your "tkbox"? I've been lookin at the d box but don't like the small power wire.
The box is 8"x6". The power wire is hidden in the picture but its a bright red 8 gauge (I think) wire that I used from my extra amplifier install kit. The power wire should be able to handle all the load. All other wires are 14 gauge.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
FINALLY! The Poison Spyder rear coilover mounts arrived. These are the type that cut into the frame for better clearance. Also went to a local U-Pull and picked up the rear axle brake lines off a cherokee with a D35. Im going to modify the brake line to work for the JK rear axle as JK's brake lines are completely different then the way TJ brake lines route. Next Thursday (Not this week) I will hopefully be able to start tearing into it, Ill start with the front and work my way to the back throughout the weekend all day, because my college classes start the Monday after the weekend.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ordered a 26" Universal 3 AN braided brake line to extend the rear brake because of the stretch and longer arms, they should be here Tuesday.

Called Clayton on Thursday because they didn't ship out my package and I was told they were out of one of the frame side brackets. Person I talked to said if I was in a hurry to build my jeep then he can send me the brackets they have on display instead of waiting till next week for the new batch. Shipment shipped out of friday, and it should be here Thursday. +1 to Clayton for some awesome customer service! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Let the build finally begin!

Ill only be able to do the front this weekend, then take care of the rear probably the next weekend. Ill be driving to school with miss matched rims and tires sizes because I am so limited on time :rofl:!

With the help of my cousin we got the whole front end dismantled! As we were taking everything apart, the good old UPS truck arrived and brought in some nice packages. These Clayton arms are HUGE, I doubt Ill ever bend these, but in case I do, Clayton has a lifetime warrenty that will replace them!

So today I managed to take apart the front end, knock off the lower control arm mounts, and take out the driver side upper mount.

Tomorrow Im going to take a stab at taking off the huge shock/coil mount. Luckily it has no welds behind the tower so it should be easier to take out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Today we knocked out the gigantic coil/spring mounts and all the control arm brackets along with the trackbar frame mount and finished the day by grinding down all the leftover meat on the frame.

Tomorrrow I still have a little bit of grinding left, then I start setting up the front axle and frame with brackets and making sure my steering geometry works. Long day tomorrow! :drinks:

Picture when we knocked out the first coil/spring tower:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Got the axle under the jeep today! Set up the tie rod, drag link and track bar. Made sure that my track bar and drag link were parallel and that they are the same length in order to eliminate bump steer. Got the control arm brackets on the axle tacked in and tomorrow Ill do the frame side. I raised the axle side lower control arm mounts a tad to get a much more level lower control arm angle. Also tomorrow the coilover tower will need to be fit onto the frame rail and get all that set up! 1 Day left, hopefully Ill be able to finish the front as school starts monday! Overall, ill have a 2" stretch in the front.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Finally after working so hard from morning to night with my dad we managed to finish the front end for school the next day! Here are some pics of todays work.

Track bar clearance check:

Axle at full bump(no bumpstops yet but in spot where they are going to be):

Cutting it close:

Coilovers in!

Couldn't get a final shot of how it stands as it turned dark really quick. When I get a chance Ill post up some pics of it with the stock JK tires. We finished so late that I couldnt get a chance to paint much of the axle, Ill have to leave that for next weekend.

I took a test ride and had a little wandering, now im not sure what it could be because of, but if I were to take a guess then I would say it is because my front end has rised higher then with my previous 4" lift springs, so that extra height is causing my body to sway more (no front sway bar yet) which is causing me to go side to side.

My track bar and draglink are the same length, at the same angle, and on the same plane so that means that they shouldn't affect my wandering.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Here are the pics of the jeep at ride height in the front with the setup. The front sits higher then the rear by about 2". Front axle is also sitting 2" forward.
Have to recheck all my measurments when I get home today.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
After a little more driving ive narrowed down why my jeep wanders. When I give it gas the front end rises, in turn pulling the jeep to the left, when I let go of the gas it drops back down and returns back straight. Now most of my weight is transfered to the rear because my front is sitting higher then the rear. This would make it much easier for the front end to rise then normal. So I am going to wait until the rear coilovers are in before I make any big changes. But ultimatly I will swap my front springs out. Right now I the CO's are set up with 14" 200/250 lb springs. Ill swap out the 200 lb spring for a 12" 150lb, this will lower my jeep and hopefully stop the front end from rising so much.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Looks sick! If you are running without a sway bar, you will get much more wander on acceleration and deceleration.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Looks sick! If you are running without a sway bar, you will get much more wander on acceleration and deceleration.
Thanks, and ya your right. Im not too worried about the wandering until I get my rear done and my anti-rocks on. Then from there ill adjust springs as needed.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Painted up the front axle brackets and steering arms.

41 - 60 of 193 Posts