Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the 4 doors with out the top on! Also I have a few questions. What's the difference between a jk and a jku? Are there 4 door Rubicons and what's your take on the new engines they put in them?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
JKU is slang for JK Unlimited. Unlimited refers to 4 doors. Rubicon available on either. New engine is better than old.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the new engine come with the 6 speed or is the only in the Rubicon?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You can get a 6 speed on any model. Have you even looked at Jeep's website? :hide:

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
cakes567 said:
All '12 '13 models (sport, sahara, rubicon, auto and standard) use the 3.6 pentastar :thumb:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Rubicon is just a package. You can order an auto or stick in the new JK. They all have the same engine. Either can be ordered with the Rubicon package. Check the stickied thread at the top of the page about 2013 info. The first couple of pages will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lolpetewtf said:
You can get a 6 speed on any model. Have you even looked at Jeep's website? :hide:
No id rather ask you guys who have these jeeps and have driven them and stuff! :p

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kjeeper10 said:
JK = 07-13 2 door or 4 door

07-11 3.8 V-6 6speed/4 speed auto
12-13 3.6 v-6 6speed/5 speed auto

3 trims sport/Sahara/Rubicon

What else do you want to know?
Pritty much it! Thanks guys for clearing that up!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I had an '11 and '12, so I've had both engines. I like the added power of the Pentastar..but I do not have any confidence that it'll survive as long as the 3.8L without major repairs being needed. If I was somebody who planned to keep the JK until the wheels fall off, I would get a 2011 model over a '12 or '13. The Pentastar with it's fancy cam phasers, variable valve timing solenoids, sophisticated heads and exhaust porting, and all aluminum construction is probably NOT going to make it to 150,000 miles without needing serious $$$ thrown at it. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WXman said:
I had an '11 and '12, so I've had both engines. I like the added power of the Pentastar..but I do not have any confidence that it'll survive as long as the 3.8L without major repairs being needed. If I was somebody who planned to keep the JK until the wheels fall off, I would get a 2011 model over a '12 or '13. The Pentastar with it's fancy cam phasers, variable valve timing solenoids, sophisticated heads and exhaust porting, and all aluminum construction is probably NOT going to make it to 150,000 miles without needing serious $$$ thrown at it. That's just the way it is.
Really? Only 150,000 miles? that's kinda depressing and disappointing compared to the older jeep engines.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Lifetime warranty was offered at around $1800 if you are that worried. The 3.8 was truly gutless, even with a supercharger that thing was underpowered. If you are throwing out random options, then buy a used 07 and find a rear end totaled truck to yank a hemi out of. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm not throwing that out there as a specific number... but the point is the 3.8L was around for literally 20 years and it was rock solid dependable in the 2010 and 2011 Jeeps. For some guys, power is king. For others, longevity and simplicity is king. You have to decide.

Fuel economy between the two has been identical for me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love my 4.2 ltr in my yj. It maybe under power and not to great on gas but the solidness and simplicity is what I really like.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
There are many JKs on the road with 150,000+ miles on them now. The 3.8L will go forever. People make fun of it for being a "minivan motor" but the truth is that minivans were designed to haul several adults plus cargo on road trips all over the U.S. and that is some hard work for a vehicle.

Underpowered is relative. In the 1980s the Chevy 350 made 210 horsepower in 4x4 fullsize trucks. Yet, everybody regarded it as the holy grail. A 202 horsepower engine in a smaller Jeep is a total dog though. It makes no sense. It's just that we've gotten used to diesel and Hemi type power and we expect that now. The 3.8L is fine, just don't plan on drag racing it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts