Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a couple searches over the last couple days and it seems like experiences are right down the middle on this subject....

In the process of mounting 37's to the machete's and thought about trying balancing beads but I'd rather go with a tried and true solution being traditional weights....

That being said who has done the beads and would do it again or would absolutely not recommend them...they will be on my off road only set of wheels/tires and next year I'll be buying a large gooseneck trailer to tow the rigs around unless it's a close place....I like the idea behind the beads but I don't want to be miserable with them....what's your take?

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I ran dynabeads in my 89 YJ w/35s on steel wheels. I did way more rock crawling then and the wheel weights never lasted. I never had any issues with them; they don't do much until you get up to speed enough for them to disperse and balance. You may hear them now and then was you roll to a stop, but that was rare. I also ran them on a 91 YJ I restored with white powder coated wheels and we were looking for a clean look on the wheels. They worked well with the 30s that Jeep sported.

I've heard of guys using air soft or BBs, but I have no direct experience with those.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Off road only I wouldn't worry much at all about balancing them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing, either 37's or 38's on beadlocks and can't decide what to do. I've heard bad and good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had balance beads in my 37's and they absolutely did not work! Balance beads are made for cross road tires, (semi-tires), not off road tires with sidewall tread!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I run beads in the wife's suv with 31's and air soft in my 35's and they work fantastic. I can hear the air soft on a slow roll.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Had beads but didn't like 'em. Worked sometimes, sometimes not and the sound was irritating. I won't do them again.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've watched quite a few more videos on them and more often than not they seem to not be the greatest....think I'll do it the old school way....

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a buddy with 37's on his JKU. He tried bead balancing and at times, they worked great. Unfortunately, like most report, they're inconsistent so he ended up having the beads removed and had them balanced with weights. No issues since.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the beads for a while and as others have mentioned they don’t always work as advertised. I removed them and went with traditional balancing.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I had balance beads in my 37's and they absolutely did not work! Balance beads are made for cross road tires, (semi-tires), not off road tires with sidewall tread!
I had the same experience when I tried them on my TJ. I won't use them again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did my research before using them. A lot of people that have issues are not putting enough in their tires, a little extra is better than not enough. If you don't have enough it won't balance out. A little extra will distribute out in the tire. Off road tires are heavy, so you need to adjust for that.
I had one that didn't feel just right so I added a little extra, and it is now fine.
The first ones I used were on my suv with 31s. I contacted the distributor and and said I was using off road tires and asked if the amount was still correct. It was suggested to use the next size up in oz. After using them with success I knew the Jeep tires needed a new balance but didn't want to pay the price they wanted. I did the air soft thing and put the amount for 37s in my 35s and it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts