Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst going off-roading, is the question. I have a 2016 JKU Black Bear, automatic. I've been watching a lot of videos; getting ready for my 1st off roading trip. I notice the high RPM in some climbs and pits. Wouldn't an automatic shift during that? So, I though it may be useful to have more control. Isn't that what the bump shifting feature is for? I don't see needing 4L on this trip. Just 2 and 4H.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always use the manual shift in my auto when off road. Don't discount 4-low. She just hums along in 1st gear and goes over everything. If it is a smooth fire road you don't even need 4wd.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I bump shift off road all the time. If not, the trans wants to shift up into 3rd gear going ten miles an hour. Helps going down grades too. Lets the engine do some of the work instead of riding the brakes all day.

I don't use 4 low often. Depends on the type of trail. If you're crawling along at 3 MPH, 4 low is great. Flat, smooth trails, 4H is good to go.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I think you'll find that crawling over obstacles with 2WD drive is very bumpy at best. Even small stuff is going to bounce your Jeep around without airing down the tires and using 4WD Low Range that is designed to let the vehicle pull you up and over/thru places that would be otherwise, be a challenge to pass.

Why is bouncing bad? It is extremely hard on the equipment (drivetrain components) and could actually break stuff as you continue to pound on it.

Time off road is about fun and comfort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice! Thank you. I will only be on a green trail, so only 4Hi and 2WD. (Light gravel w/ some mud and shallow water) I thought the manual shift made sense, I needed confirmation. Thanks guys. Photos coming!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts